Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New update for Charitable Contribution carryover.

ChuckM1
Level 3

The update says you have to resave each client file.  

Is there an easy way to do this without opening and closing each clients record?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

Maybe.

Try selecting all returns in the home base and batch-printing to PDFs.  That *might* make each one calculate and save.  The drawback is that it will also recalculate anything with unemployment that the IRS has already recalculated (and perhaps differently depending on your state and method of entry).

Either way, whatever you do, next year make sure to double (or triple) check anything that carries over for Federal AND state returns.  It's a train wreck out there.

Rick

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

No

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

Maybe.

Try selecting all returns in the home base and batch-printing to PDFs.  That *might* make each one calculate and save.  The drawback is that it will also recalculate anything with unemployment that the IRS has already recalculated (and perhaps differently depending on your state and method of entry).

Either way, whatever you do, next year make sure to double (or triple) check anything that carries over for Federal AND state returns.  It's a train wreck out there.

Rick

ChuckM1
Level 3

Thanks, but someone else offered a possible way to do it in bulk.

Did you see where intuit said you needed to re-save the files??

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I'm curious if we only need to re-save files if there *IS* a carryover, or if we need to save them even if there is not a carryover (in other words, if there is no carryover, is the transfer going to falsely add a carryover if we don't re-save it first?)

rbynaker
Level 13

I rarely see these so I think it's much ado about nothing.

For reference, here's the Intuit announcement:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-news-updates/discussion/charitable-contributio...

Rick

0 Cheers
kayce
Level 2

This "recommendation" to re-save my 2020 client files makes no sense to me. That means I either have to unlock every single return that has been e-filed (i.e. ALL our clients), open them, re-save them, then lock them again, OR I need to know off the top of my head which of our clients has a charitable contribution carryover. This time of year I can barely remember yesterday let alone that information!

PROSERIES: How about working for your customers here and creating a client query so that we can know which clients are affected?

0 Cheers
ChuckM1
Level 3

Exactly my point.  

Intuit - why the smart ass comment "PROSERIES: How about working for your customers here and creating a client query so that we can know which clients are affected?" 

Are you assuming we are not working for our clients??

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

@ChuckM1   I think you've misread the post by @kayce .....  @kayce was directing a comment TO PROSERIES         ProSeries was not posting 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, when there are issues, you will almost never see posts from Intuit.😁

Slava Ukraini!