Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My client had a solar energy system installed on a rental property. What type of asset is the solar energy system?

nz
Level 1
For depreciation purposes, what type of asset is a solar energy system installed on a rental property?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
dkh
Level 15

There's only two options   Type of Asset - F  rental furnishings    or  I - Rental Real Estate       well maybe three because you could choose   O - other 

So if the neighbor came over and said "hey I really like your solar system can I buy it?"    could it be removed and sold without tearing into the property?   If no - then it is part of the real estate.   Doesn't a solar system require lots of "plumbing" installation.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Qualifying solar energy equipment is eligible for a cost recovery period of five years. See link:

https://www.seia.org/initiatives/depreciation-solar-energy-property-macrs

nz
Level 1

They are solar panels so no plumbing installation.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

What I meant by "plumbing"  is the connection from solar panels to what is being powered by them.