Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mom in law that is dependent on return

George1948
Level 2

I have return that has mom in law that is 80 years old and lives with the taxpayer all 12 months and taxpayer supports the mom all year. the system won't let me be a dependent on the return. it puts her in a non qualified status. which is not true.  how can i get that to be on the tax return

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

non qualified for what?   The child tax credit , that last box on the end of the dependent line?   or for EIC?

That would be correct, they are not qualified for the child tax credit, they are too old, you need to be under 17 for that.

And they are not a qualifying child for EIC

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

non qualified for what?   The child tax credit , that last box on the end of the dependent line?   or for EIC?

That would be correct, they are not qualified for the child tax credit, they are too old, you need to be under 17 for that.

And they are not a qualifying child for EIC

George1948
Level 2
yes but don't they qualified for 500 credit for dependant as a parents for EIC??
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You should see the $500 for ODC  on Line 13a of the 1040 (assuming you have a tax liability for it to offset)....does the 8867 form prompt you to fill it in?