Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Retirement Income for Maryland subtraction

k8majoros
Level 1

Maryland allows you to subtract $5000 of military retirement income from federal adjusted gross income before determining state tax. I cannot populate the 502SU to take the deduction. I tried filling out the 502R but that also did not populate the 502SU. I looked through the 1099-R in the Federal 1040 and also the info worksheet and I don't see a way to designate the income as military retirement.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chasetax
Level 7

sorry only enter "M" is state use code--then the subtraction should flow to maryland 502 su

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
chasetax
Level 7

1099-r worksheet--near area 15-1--state use code--put in an 'm'

if u r in maryland you might also use a 'p' for pick up contributions

further info click on the box for cross reference info

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Not sure about Maryland but Ohio excludes 100% of military retirement and has a worksheet where that info is entered. Did you try the Help ? when you are on the field where the reduced income should be appearing?

0 Cheers
k8majoros
Level 1

I added the state abbreviation and the military pension code for Maryland as 24. It did not flow through to the Maryland return. I am still unable to enter the exclusion.

0 Cheers
k8majoros
Level 1

The field will not allow me to enter data. If I right click and go to help it says to use the pension exclusion worksheet. I did and it is not opening up the code U field for the 502SU.

0 Cheers
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Is the Maryland ready to efile, no yellow bar on top? The software has a lot of "issues" this year.

Let's see if this will help you

@IntuitAustin  Would you be able to help with this issue. Thank you.

0 Cheers
chasetax
Level 7

sorry only enter "M" is state use code--then the subtraction should flow to maryland 502 su

0 Cheers
k8majoros
Level 1

We have a winner! Thanks so much, that worked.

0 Cheers