Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe I'm losing my mind!!!!

ken4
Level 3

I've encountered a problem with the sale of rental real estate.

On the asset entry worksheet, I entered the sale information, and the current depreciation amount was increased by the remaining basis on the property.

This amount shows that it was fully expensed on Sch E line 18a.

Did I check the wrong box, or am I just losing it?

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That is odd.  Any chance this is the last year of the Recovery Period?  Double check all dates on the Asset Entry Worksheet.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Look at the depreciation detail report...does it agree with what youre seeing on the Sch E for current depreciation?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I was walking along just now and found a mind that appears to be lost.  Is it yours?

If all else fails, I would print the depreciation report, delete the asset and enter it from scratch to see if that solves the mystery.

Slava Ukraini!
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I was walking along just now and found a mind that appears to be lost.  Is it yours?

I've had one.  If nobody claims it, can I have it?

IRonMaN
Level 15

If you can properly describe what it looks like, I will gladly give it to you.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
khorshed
Level 3

Check section 179

0 Cheers
ken4
Level 3

Thanks for the good answers which helped lead to the issue.

I combined all of the assets for the sale of the property rather than a sale of multiple improvements over the years which obviously gave a skewed result and expensed the remaining depreciation. I used an acquisition date 30 years ago when the property was originally purchased so there would be no remaining depreciation and the software expensed on Sch E the difference.

It's certainly a nuisance having the allocate the sales price through all of the assets.

I've used other tax software that would combine assets for a sale and have no idea why Proseries has never added this feature.

Thanks again, everyone.