Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MARYLAND UNEMPLOYMENT /PROGRAM NEEDS TO BE UPDATED

kj6265-
Level 1

MARYLAND NO LONGER TAXES UNEMPLOYMNET WHEN IS THE 2020 PROGRAM GOING TO BE UPDATED

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
dkh
Level 15

Is this actually finalized?  And if yes,  has the ink had time to dry.    It's not like the programmers just flip a switch to make these changes. 

dascpa
Level 11

I've tried finding the actual law online and am struggling.  Then the Comptroller's office needs time to adjust the tax return (will it be a subtraction modification or what), and then they need to let all the software companies know, and then the software companies need time to change their programming.  Bottom line, weeks or longer would be my guess.  The prior reply is correct - you can't just flip a switch.

rbynaker
Level 13

DAS, here's the latest version that I could find:

https://legiscan.com/MD/text/SB496/id/2294283

Rick (on the south side of the Potomac)

dascpa
Level 11

Thank you Rick.   This is really helpful, but as a prior writer chimed in before, this is a lined-out version. Actual law is without all the crossed-out sections., but I'll use this for now.

rbynaker
Level 13

Yeah, I saw SJR mention that last night.  I think this is as good as it gets for now.  I suspect if you keep checking the link that will be the best way to see when it's updated.  I tried finding other sources but all I was getting were one or two paragraph snippets from news organizations and some useless "public relations" videos from the MD government.  The only mention I've seen of the $75K/$100K income cap on the unemployment subtraction is in the marked-up version of the bill.

chasetax
Level 7

went to marylandtaxes.gov website this morning and printed 'relief act', also gave info on maryland economic impact payment. i am in eastern baltimore county fyi

sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't see the actual law text there. https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/RELIEFAct/index.php

If you did, can you share the link?

Ex-AllStar
chasetax
Level 7

sorry-just printed what comptroller had on its web page

0 Cheers
R_Dawn
Level 1

Here is the info from the Comptrollers site.  From the Governors site you can see the actual signing that took place on 2/15/21.  I know it takes time to rewrite programs (I've done it in a past life), but we've known this was coming for about 6 weeks when he first announced it.  Of course, I do understand that all these laws have been changing ridiculously fast.  It's just frustrating having to hold up the returns.  Hopefully it'll be soon!

https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/RELIEFAct/

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"It's just frustrating having to hold up the returns."

Send love notes to your elected officials thanking them for mucking up tax season.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers