Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maryland Credit For Unemployment Taxes

pkgreen
Level 2

Maryland passed a law that unemployment state withholding taxes could be claimed as a credit on your Maryland Return. I can't find the line item under 502SU subtractions. Does anyone know where to claim the state tax credit?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

11 Comments 11
IRonMaN
Level 15

They just passed it the other day.  Revenue departments and software companies don't move that fast, you need to give them some time.

Slava Ukraini!
chasetax
Level 7

@IRonMaN is correct.  I am in baltimore county. withholdings are always credits against income tax but the maryland unemployment received will also need to be entered as a maryland subtraction on the 502SU once the authorities and then intuit re-programs the system. go to marylandtaxes.gov for more info

IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm correct?  Holy crap - first time that has happened this year.  I maybe should retire from here before I break my winning streak.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

I am confused.  The moment a law passes shouldn't the government have their forms updated and the software companies too? Why can't it be instantaneous? You mean I might have to wait days, weeks or months? I paid $7,000 for this software.  I'm disappointed.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Did you receive a proxy from 90 percent of Intuit customers to voice their beliefs on their behalf?

Slava Ukraini!
dgmcpa
Level 2

A new form 502LU for MD Unemployment subtraction...Oh Boy

The RELIEF Act allows Maryland taxpayers to subtract certain amounts from their federal adjusted gross income (FAGI). In order to be eligible for the subtraction, these amounts must be included in a taxpayer’s FAGI for the same year. Please note certain payroll protection programs under the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act have already been excluded from FAGI under federal law. As these amounts are not included in a taxpayer’s FAGI, they are not eligible for subtraction on the Maryland return.
In order to claim these subtractions, individuals must complete Maryland Form 502LU and file it along with their return.
Two distinct subtractions from income are available under the RELIEF Act for tax years 2020 and 2021:
• Unemployment Benefits: To the extent included in federal adjusted gross income, taxpayers may
subtract the amount of unemployment benefits received during the taxable year on their Maryland
return. This subtraction is only available to taxpayers with a filing status of single, married filing
separate, or dependent with a FAGI of less than $75,000, and filers with married filing joint, head of
household, or surviving spouse status with a FAGI of less than $100,000.

pkgreen
Level 2

Thank you so much. 😉

JJ27
Level 2

Does it extend to MD non-residents who were employed in MD and therefore collected MD Unemployment? Or does it only apply to MD residents?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Most MD nonresidents who were employed in MD will not be filing MD returns due to the reciprocal arrangements MD has with DC, VA, PA & WV.

Ex-AllStar
JJ27
Level 2

I have several individuals that reside in DE, but work in MD. Since their employment was in MD, they collected MD unemployment benefits. To take credit for taxes paid to the State of MD on their DE tax returns, they need to file MD non-resident return (Form 505).

Unfortunately, State of MD could not answer my question when I talked to them. Logically, I don't think that non-residents should be penalized and pay MD tax on unemployment benefits; they work and pay taxes to the State of MD and should be eligible to receive the same benefits as residents. In addition to regular tax, there is also a special "non-resident" tax of 1.75% imposed by the State of MD increasing taxes for non-residents.

0 Cheers
alhannan
Level 1

I called the Comptroller's Office a few weeks ago and they said it would be 4 to 6 weeks BEFORE the form would be ready. However, there was a press release on March 29 from the State  saying that the form was ready and would be available by March 31.  I just downloaded the most recent update from Intuit and the from is not there yet. Not sure why the state needs a special form. The Fed return deducts the $10,200 (if you meet the income guidelines) and passes  the corrected adjusted amount to the MD 502.  So it seems typical state of MD bureaucratic crap that we ALWYS get from the Comptroller's Office.   

0 Cheers