Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married filing separate - itemized deductions

kabbabkkg
Level 3

I have a couple that are married filing separate and one spouse has itemized deductions.  And I just realized this but the itemized spouse the system is picking up the itemized deductions and the other spouse it is picking up the standard deduction.  Why would it not pick up the standard deduction for the itemized spouse when the deduction is more?  And do I split the itemized deductions in half and put half on each return. 

Thanks  for your help in this.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

What one spouse does, the other has to follow.  You can't take itemized for one and the standard deduction for the other.  Split where applicable, otherwise take whatever they each individually paid for.

Slava Ukraini!
kabbabkkg
Level 3

The spouse who has the itemized deductions is the one who paid the for the deductions the other spouse did not pay anything.  It is mortgage interest, real estate taxes and donations and she the spouse with the itemized deductions pays for all of this.

thanks

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The other spouse has to itemize as well, even if their itemized deductions are zero.  You need to check this box on the Fed Info Worksheet

mfsitemize.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
kabbabkkg
Level 3

One more question can they choose to take the standard deduction

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Only if they both take the standard deduction.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪