Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married filing jointly with separate states

SKC2021
Level 3

I have a married couple in Virginia filing jointly for the Federal return. The spouse moved to WEst Virginia on Jan 29th last year and lived there all year. They need to file separate state returns. I have Proseries basic, can someone please help me with the state returns?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

ProSeries does not handle this well at all.  In the past I've created a joint Federal return and a 2nd file return for the separate state.  There is a feature in ProSeries to do split returns so you don't have to input all the same info.  But remember, on the 2nd state you're only e-filing the state return, not the Federal.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
dascpa
Level 11

ProSeries does not handle this well at all.  In the past I've created a joint Federal return and a 2nd file return for the separate state.  There is a feature in ProSeries to do split returns so you don't have to input all the same info.  But remember, on the 2nd state you're only e-filing the state return, not the Federal.

GeorgeCPA
Level 3

Is there a problem e-filing the state returns when the federal return is not e-filed?  Similar situation as the OP, they will file a joint federal return but separately for state returns as they did not live together at all as newlyweds.

Both proforma federal returns for the MFS do not have e-filing checked for federal but they do for state.  It is not giving me an error at this point but I am concerned it will reject upon e-filing.

TIA

0 Cheers