Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making NJ estimated payments electronically

NJ_EA
Level 3

I e-filed NJ-1040 on 4/16/20 with all boxes checked to have NJ quarterly 2020 estimates made electronically from client's bank account.  Return was initially accepted, but now I continue to get the following error notice:

"When you E-File the estimate payment for New Jersey you must transmit as a separate
transaction from the state return. You must check the state est payment E-File on the
federal information worksheet to file the estimate payment. Then you do not mark the
individual return for E-File on the federal information worksheet screen. After you E-File
the estimate you can go back into the return and E-File the state return be sure to uncheck
the estimate when doing the state return."

I have gone back at least 5 times and followed these instructions to the letter, and each time the filing is initially accepted, but as soon as I log back in, I get the same error notice.  I know NJ electronic estimates are a new feature this year - anyone else have this problem?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
Accountant-Man
Level 12

You cannot e-file the 2nd qtr corporate NJ est until after you have efiled the 1st qtr. Etc.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
NJ_EA
Level 3

Thanks but this is a personal, not a corporate return, and the error I'm getting is for the 1st quarter estimate, not the 2nd

0 Cheers
zandw619
Level 3

I have a similar issue. After each estimated payment is accepted the system permits you to electronically file the next one. My question is whether only the estimate tax form is efiled and if the payment needs to be by check?  The Federal estimate makes it clear, but I am not sure about the NJ.

0 Cheers
ptax255
Level 5

I'm having a similar issue. I filed Q2 NJ payment. Status says completed. Now I want to go file Q3, but it says "NJ Q2 payment is current period". Am I missing something? Thanks!

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Sorry, I never e-file state personal estimates for my clients, or myself either. Once they are set up it is very difficult to stop them.

It's not worth the aggregation. 

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
LTS1980
Level 2

I am having the same issue trying to file 1st qtr NJ estimates electronically. did you ever get a helpful answer?

0 Cheers
zandw619
Level 3

No, my client was so annoyed last year that this year he is making all NJ tax payments by check..

0 Cheers
NJ_EA
Level 3

Same here, no resolution, so I set up the estimated payments at the NJ website - not that hard and worked fine.  I have the same problems with NJ estimated payments for partnerships, apparently Pro Series doesn't work well with NJ

0 Cheers