Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Tax Return for Pennsylvania

cjmcglinn
Level 3

The ProSeries program is saying that the Local Tax Return will not be finalized until February 20, 2020 for the State of Pennsylvania.  Does anyone know why?  This is going to be a huge burden in that I will need to prepare all local returns by hand.  That will be several hundred returns.  Very disappointing.  Especially since we, as tax prepares, are responsible for reviewing all information that is on the tax return prior to filing.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

19 Comments 19
IRonMaN
Level 15

Intuit's response is probably that they are going to receive the final forms from PA late so they can't provide them any earlier than that.  The best suggestion I can give you is round up every other PA preparer and tell them to keep hounding Intuit until they get tired of hearing from you and move the date up earlier on the calendar.  

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

@TAXOH  have you said that you fill them out online?

Ex-AllStar
cjmcglinn
Level 3

Good idea!  Intuit did this once before several years ago.  Strange part is that the local information is already on the websites for downloading paper returns to be completed for filing.  Ugh!

TAXOH
Level 11
Yes, I have used the Ohio local returns online until ProSeries finalizes them each year.
HBSJMKS
Level 2

Any update from Proseries on when this local form which has no changes from the prior year will stop printing "Do Not File - Form Not Final" across the page. This is a HUGE issue for all PA preparers! It makes no sense!

shoover
Level 3

I do not understand why Pro Series is having a problem, This form has not changed during the entire time I have been preparing tax returns. I downloaded a form from the tax collection agency, filled it out and printed ready to file, so the form is complete in the eyes of the tax collection agency. It saves a lot of time the prepare it with Pro Series which is why i spend the money for the program.

What is the problem Pro Series?

MonicaG
Level 4

Just spoke with intuit from the office of the President. They will correct this by end of day today 2/3! Yay

0 Cheers
Postdot
Level 3

I had a return call yesterday from Intuit assuring me that the Local PA return was released. And that the issue of single forms printing 3 copies had been corrected. I did everything that she said to do and it is still not available. I am on the phone with ProSeries right now (Tomi) and she is telling me that the form will not be released until the 20th. ProSeries is not giving us the service that we paid for to do our jobs properly. She keeps telling me it was because of the government shutdown. This is a state form not a federal form. She said the IRS has to approve the forms. I guess we are stuck wasting time and filling out form by hand. We all need to demand a refund for our inconvenience.

0 Cheers
MonicaG
Level 4

The yellow bar is still on the top of the local form but it will print the state now and the local form will print. I have no idea why that person was telling you that information because none of that is correct. As of last night the local was fixed and proseries is working on removing the yellow bar. What most were experiencing was that the local said it was not finalized and therefore we weren't able to print the PA return or the local. We had to remove the local form and fill in by hand from the local agency's website. I emailed the office of the president of Intuit because lower lever customer support was not listening to the problem. Just make sure you do an update. Hope that helps. 

0 Cheers
Postdot
Level 3

Thank you for the information.  Someone should inform ProSeries.

0 Cheers
Jeanie91868
Level 1

Absolutely unacceptable that we have to hand prepare the local returns.    This is costing me significant time, effort, energy, and money.     I called the local taxing authority and they said it is nothing on their end - this is 100% PROSERIES ISSUE.    I spent an hour on the phone with PROSERIES - "programming issue".     Drake is NOT having this issue and is 1/3 the price.     PROSERIES should be sent a bill for the lost time - which for me will be thousands of dollars.   

0 Cheers
Jeanie91868
Level 1

That is a crock!  The local form has absolutely NOTHING to do with the IRS.  

0 Cheers
Jeanie91868
Level 1

again - absolute b/s!    I talked to our local taxing authority.   Their forms have been final for a VERY VERY VERY long time. 

0 Cheers
MonicaG
Level 4

I understand your frustration but it is working now. Just ignore the yellow bar. You can print out the form and print out the state as well. They are aware they need to get rid of the bar. Make sure you updated today. You should be good to go if you did update. Take a deep breath the worst is behind us 🙂

Postdot
Level 3

I got this reply from MonicaG:  (and I cannot thank her enough)

I understand your frustration but it is working now. Just ignore the yellow bar. You can print out the form and print out the state as well. They are aware they need to get rid of the bar. Make sure you updated today. You should be good to go if you did update. Take a deep breath the worst is behind us.

SO you can print the form out now, even with the date on top.  Also, are you having issues printing a single sheet and getting three copies when you only need one?

0 Cheers
RPM
Level 1

I was on the state and local tax committee for years. The local tax return can be legally filed on a napkin. Why are you waiting for approval of a form that has been the same since 1970! I don't even know who you are going to get to approve the form! Berkheimer and Keystone are collectors the do not have the legislative power to do this

0 Cheers
MonicaG
Level 4

Since Monday night if you ran an update you are able to print the local and also the PA state return. Proseries is aware that the yellow bar still states that however there is no hold up. I contacted the office of the President of intuit last weekend. So just ignore the yellow bar and you are good to go. You do need to do an update if it's still not printing for you. Hope that helps.

0 Cheers
Postdot
Level 3

Anyone having the issue of getting 3 copies of the PA UE form when you ask for only one copy?

0 Cheers
co
Level 3

We have a work around and will print form as is with the watermark and the note below printed on bottom for form:

" PA Dept of Revenue says forms are Final. Intuit Software Company will not allow printing without the above watermark until 2/17/22 even though no changes will be made to this local form. Taxpayer is filing as is, not waiting until 2/17/22. "

0 Cheers