Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking home office deduction to partnership on Sch. E

danielkhayat
Level 2

Is there a way to connect a home office deduction worksheet to a K-1 reported on Schedule E? I've been looking in the software for a good while but so far I've only found connections to the 2106 and Schedule C. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, there is not a way in ProSeries.

You either need to calculate it manually, or create a temporary 'fake' Schedule C with the Home Office to get the amounts (then print it for your own records and delete the fake Schedule C with the office).

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
qbteachmt
Level 15

Try this article:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/schedule-k-1/help/proseries-partnership-schedule-k-1-workshe...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, there is not a way in ProSeries.

You either need to calculate it manually, or create a temporary 'fake' Schedule C with the Home Office to get the amounts (then print it for your own records and delete the fake Schedule C with the office).

PATAX
Level 15

@danielkhayat make sure you closely read the rules for the home office deduction..... I believe one of the rules is that the home office must be used exclusively for business, that means 100%... Does your client use it 100% for business and no personal use?... Just my opinion...

0 Cheers
danielkhayat
Level 2

Yes, the portion of the home used for business meets the exclusivity and use tests. The deduction will get prorated down proportionally based on the ratio of office square footage to overall home square footage.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You didn't mention what is the source of the K-1. Are you sure this even meets the current provisions for deducting?

"I've been looking in the software for a good while but so far I've only found connections to the 2106 and Schedule C."

Because nearly everything else was repealed by TJCA.

0 Cheers
danielkhayat
Level 2

No, the IRS instructions state that self-employed partners can take the deduction as an unreimbursed business expense if the specific areas within their homes meet the eligibility and exclusivity tests. Other tax software we use readily accepts and prepares this information, so i was hoping an option existed in ProSeries. Apparently it doesn't. Wouldn't be the first time.

(edit) Should also mention that these partners likely had no office or other place of business to report to for the majority of the year due to COVID-related office closures, and thus conducted business solely/primarily at home.

0 Cheers
danielkhayat
Level 2

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Appreciate the help.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

So, you are saying this part of the link I gave doesn't work:

How do I enter unreimbursed partner expenses?

1. Open the Schedule K-1 Worksheet Partnerships.
  2. Scroll down to line 20 Other Information. 
  3. Right below line 20, you'll see: QuickZoom to enter unreimbursed partnership expenses (UPE). Click on the QuickZoom.
  4. Enter any unreimbursed partnership expenses on the applicable lines.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@qbteachmt wrote:

So, you are saying this part of the link I gave doesn't work:

That allows you to enter a dollar amount.  But in order to figure out what the dollar amount is, you need to fill out the Home Office Worksheet.  ProSeries does NOT have such a sheet that can be used to calculate it, so you need to manually do that or use a temporary Schedule C to do it.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Thanks.

0 Cheers