Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K-1 impact on personal 1040

mkedikian
Level 1

Hello, I have a bit complicated situation:

Client has a K-1 from 1120-S with negative balance on line 1 Ordinary business income (loss) of ($50,000).  He also has an officer compensation of $70,000, which i entered in Other Income since he didn't 1099 it. 

The question is shouldn't the K-1 loss of ($50,000) be deduct from the $70,000 and leave a balance of $20,000 as income?? 

In his personal 1040 form, the K-1 loss of $50,000 is not reflecting.  It only shows the $70,000 income that he has to pay taxes on.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
qbteachmt
Level 15

Let's examine this part: "since he didn't 1099 it."

When you work for an S Corp, you are an Employee and get paid through payroll and get a W2.

If you are a shareholder, you never get a 1099-M from your own entity.

All of which means this: "The question is shouldn't the K-1 loss of ($50,000) be deduct from the $70,000 and leave a balance of $20,000 as income??"

Likely is not the right question to be asking. It seems the 1120S might need to be amended and payroll for 2019 needs to be fixed.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
mkedikian
Level 1

Thank you for your response.  

Since I have to work with what i am given, i have to figure out the best case to prepare his taxes. 

I can not go back to him and say, you have to go back and convert the $70,000 cash withdrawal  into payroll and issue yourself 2019 W-2.   I can ask him to do that moving forward.  

Any other suggestions? 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

"I can not go back to him and say, you have to go back and convert the $70,000 cash withdrawal  into payroll and issue yourself 2019 W-2."

You could have last December when you first asked about the situation... just sayin'

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/yes-i-prepared-the-1120-s-a...

And actually, yes you CAN ask him to go back and convert the $70,000 cash withdrawal  into payroll and issue yourself 2019 W-2.  The pain of doing it the right way should get his attention.

You can also decline to prepare the incorrect returns

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Any other suggestions?'

Well, you can both wait until the IRS "asks" for this to be done. Of course, it's going to cost a lot more, the longer you wait.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

A cash withdrawal to an owner/employee is not deductible, so the company profit is really 20k. That should be on the k1. Have the preparer fix it.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.