Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alimony paid shows on Schedule 1 but does not seem to carry to the 2018 Form 1040.

rcrook2
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11

It is in the total on line 6.  

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
TAXOH
Level 11

It is in the total on line 6.  

rbynaker
Level 13
Alimony PAID would roll into the math to calculate line 7.  Alimony received would be included on the "dotted line" next to line 6, and rolled into the math for line 6 (do we have a name for that?  It's not a "margin" 'cause that would be on the other side, it's just a number scribbled in some white space on the form that happens to be next to box 6).

Ugh.  We're over halfway into tax season and I'm still chasing some of these more obscure things to S1-6 and jumping back and forth to make sure I understand where things are.  S2 is my favorite, it really should have just been merged with S3.  Carry this number from one of these two other forms, then write it again on line 47.  Then just "include it" with the math on line 11.  I'd be willing to bet that nobody in this "room" has seen a situation where there's more than one amount on Schedule 2.  AMT and EAPTC are just never going to be on the same return.
/soapbox
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I feel the same way, like Im constantly chasing things down to be sure they landed in the right place!   What aren't all these new 1, 2, 3, 4 all on the same freaking page?  F the whole "postcard" promise/scam, this is just a stupid design.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
You'll get no argument from me.  In most cases, the folks who only have the postcard 1040 (no S1-6) were already filing either EZ or A.  So they went from one form to one different looking form.  But anyone who had a moderately complex 1040 now went from 2 pages to 3-6 pages, all in the name of "simplification".  Oh, and next year they have to create a new 1040-SR for seniors.  So that'll be even more fun.
0 Cheers
BEACH LOVER
Level 1

Proseries Basic ... Alimony received, Schedule 1 after you input all information It does not carry  it to the 1040....

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

removed...something goofy happened with the posting

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers