Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway we can change debiting date after e-filing? A client of mine is insisting that this is possible this year?

BardhaBundo
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Cancellations, Errors and Questions:

• In the event Treasury causes an incorrect amount of funds to be withdrawn from a bank account, Treasury will return any improperly transferred funds.
  • Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.
  • If a payment is returned by your financial institution (e.g., due to insufficient funds, incorrect account information, closed account, etc.) the IRS will mail a Letter 4870 to the address we have on file for you, explaining why the payment could not be processed, and providing alternate payment options.
  • In the event your financial institution is unable to process your payment request, you will be responsible for making other payment arrangements, and for any penalties and interest incurred.
  • Contact your financial institution immediately if there is an error in the amount withdrawn.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Cancellations, Errors and Questions:

• In the event Treasury causes an incorrect amount of funds to be withdrawn from a bank account, Treasury will return any improperly transferred funds.
  • Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.
  • If a payment is returned by your financial institution (e.g., due to insufficient funds, incorrect account information, closed account, etc.) the IRS will mail a Letter 4870 to the address we have on file for you, explaining why the payment could not be processed, and providing alternate payment options.
  • In the event your financial institution is unable to process your payment request, you will be responsible for making other payment arrangements, and for any penalties and interest incurred.
  • Contact your financial institution immediately if there is an error in the amount withdrawn.

wahcpa
Level 2

I have the same issue with some e-filed clients who we scheduled payment dates for 4/14 prior to the government extension.   I would be interested in ways to change that date or is it too late.

The only strategy that I can think of is to have the client transfer funds out of the designated account so there wouldn't be enough for the IRS to take out.  At that point, I believe that the IRS will just send a bill.

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

READ  @Just-Lisa-Now-  post above... call and cancel the direct debit... then remember to debit it on 7/15,

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@wahcpa wrote:

I have the same issue with some e-filed clients who we scheduled payment dates for 4/14 prior to the government extension.   I would be interested in ways to change that date or is it too late.

The only strategy that I can think of is to have the client transfer funds out of the designated account so there wouldn't be enough for the IRS to take out.  At that point, I believe that the IRS will just send a bill.

Then you get a bounced payment fee, so thats a bad move...just cancel the payment, and pay a different way

0 Cheers
wahcpa
Level 2

Thank you Lisa - this  very helpful

wahcpa
Level 2

Thanks. . .

0 Cheers
BardhaBundo
Level 1

Thank you Lisa,