Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a work around for duplicate EIN? 1st one was filed as extension. Data exists in 2nd file. Don't want to rekey everything.

dbaccounting
Level 1
partnership return has error Duplicate SSN/EIN. 1st version was extension filed and accepted.  2nd one is file that has current data.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Shouldn't be getting a duplicate if that was the case.
Is this for an individual return?
Could the client have used the non filer site to get the stimulus?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Oh wait, you say "second file"...you should use the same file for the return that you used for the extension.

0 Cheers
dbaccounting
Level 1

Not an individual return.  I filed the 1065 extension.  Not sure why getting error message.  I have the complete partnership file ready to efile but it won't allow says duplicate SSN/EIN.

I tried to delete the first file - no can do.

I tried to edit the EIN on the first file so not a duplicate - no can do.

Any suggestions?  Other than re-entering ALL that data .. on a time crunch.

0 Cheers
dbaccounting
Level 1

understood - is there a work around short of rekeying everything into the first file?  Did not intend a 2nd file -not sure why it generated.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Not sure why you created a second file for the return rather than using the same one you used for the extension....now the program thinks its 2 different company returns with the same EIN.

Either re-enter all the data into the correct file and Efile it....or print and mail the return are going to be your only options.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If its a partnership return youre not on a time crunch, the extension gives you until September to file

0 Cheers