Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a Virginia equivalent to the IRS 8948 (efile opt out explanation)?

bpierce
Level 3

We are preparing a 2018 Federal and Virginia fiduciary ta return. Is there a Virginia equivalent to the IRS form 8948 (Preparer Explanation of not E-Filing Tax Return) ?  There appears to be a 770 Waiver Request but that seems to apply to a "global" situation of not efiling any returns rather than specific fiduciary returns. I do not think that is the appropriate form. I see the e-filing requirements for preparers but do not see a form to use if unable to efile.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Pro Series can efile, current and two years prior

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

This is what I found, from Virginia Dept of Revenue:

• Fiduciary Income Tax: Beginning with returns due on or after January 1, 2020, tax preparers are required to file fiduciary income tax returns electronically, but there is no requirement to make payments electronically.
  • Individual Income Tax: Paid tax preparers who prepare, or employ people to prepare, 50 or more individual income tax returns a year are required to file electronically. If they prepare 50 or more returns in a taxable year, then for each year after, they must file all individual income tax returns electronically
0 Cheers
bpierce
Level 3

Thanks for responding so quickly. Our experience has been that you cannot efile a past due tax return - especially one that crosses 2 tax years (e.g. 2018 return being filed in 2020). I guess if it rejects efiling we have no choice but to paper file. Hoped Va would have a form like the IRS (8948).

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Pro Series can efile, current and two years prior