Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else having problems with the Child Tax Credit

ralf
Level 1

I had an update to my program last night and now it is not figuring the Child Tax Credit correctly.  I have a client with a 17 year old so he should get $500 for the child tax credit.  But I cannot get the program to give it to him.  Anyone else having problems?  ProSeries - can you make the correction?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
its giving him nothing?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Double check the child is actually showing up as a dependent on the 1040.

Is there income tax on Line 18 of Form 1040?  If there isn't tax, the $500 credit is not-refundable.

0 Cheers
ralf
Level 1

No it's not unfortunately

0 Cheers
ralf
Level 1

Yep, I checked that and it won't give him the credit.  

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@ralf wrote:

No it's not unfortunately

You are saying the 1040 is NOT showing the child as a dependent?  If so, that is why the $500 is not being credited.

Are you using code "L" for the dependent?  Look at my picture below ... does yours look any different?

1.jpg

0 Cheers
ralf
Level 1

Yep mine looks like that.  Everything is correct except not allowing the $500 credit.  I have avoided working on returns with dependents since seeing this.  I will go into one of those to see if having same trouble.  Maybe this person's (who is a returning client) file got corrupted somehow.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Try deleting the dependent and then re-enter the dependent.

0 Cheers