Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Integrity and Verification Operations

ssp
Level 1

I have been contacted by  a fair number of clients who are receiving an IRS letter from Integrity and Verification Operations requesting the taxpayer to call to verify information to process their refund. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it a legitimate request?

Thanks

Steve

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

23 Comments 23
Greta
Level 9

Two clients have contacted me about this issue. Client 1 did not have a refund, but the other had $5K refund held up, he had filed in April. Client 1 was instructed by his letter to call, but after a dozen tries, he gave up, the message was "we are super-busy, please call at another time." I'm eager to find out what is going on.

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Is it Form 4883C? That should be legitimate.

Address 3651 S IH 35, STOP 6579 AUSC

Austin, TX 73301-0059.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I see less than a handful of those each year, no clue what they use to decide who to send them to, or not.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
taxes96786
Level 9

Just to be safe I would not use the number on the letter but, would

1.verify the correct information is on the return that was efiled

2. check where's my refund site

3. if not, go through Practitioner services to verify...

4. have client can check create online account

Too many official looking scams out there

1foxylady2
Level 1

I received letter dated 11/02/20.  I did not have a refund.   I called the number at 7am. recording said call back during business hours of 7am to 7pm.  I spoke with a friend who works for the IRS I was told the letter is legitimate.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I received letter dated 11/02/20. I did not have a refund."

@1foxylady2  

You seem to be lost on the internet. Your terminology seems like you are not preparing income tax returns for your clients.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Thanks,

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
jefferypruitt
Level 1

I received the 4883C, and instructions state to contact them at only this one phone number in the universe, which ALWAYS says to call them the next business day because they are too busy to man the phones. I am beyond frustrated.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I get that message when I call the tax practitioner hotline, but if I hang up and call right back Im put in queue.

0 Cheers

Hello,

I am a US citizen living and working in Germany. I filed my 2020 income tax recently and received the letter 5071C. I called the hotline on the letter to no avail. I tried idverify.irs.gov but cannot get through personal info step because all my addresses come up as invalid. I tried all my addresses since 2010 but nothing worked. Can you suggest what I should do? Or can you or someone you know represent me on this? Thank you!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@sangleearchitect 

This is a forum for using ProSeries Program to prepare US income tax filings for your Client.

You seem to be lost on the internet.

You’ve come to a Peer User community for Intuit Tax Preparation products supporting tax preparation professionals using ProSeries, Proconnect and Lacerte Tax Preparation programs, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Thanks.

Well, I knew where I was on this...since it's for the pros, I thought I would ask around here.

I am not sure if asking in the ordinary user forum would yield anything useful...

Any recommendations in my case? Should I hire an accountant somewhere?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"since it's for the pros"

That's not quite the issue; look at the Top, at the full Path. It is a User Group, for using ProSeries Programs, which are tax preparation Software. You are asking a User Group for specific Software, about nothing having to do with that Software. You are not using that software right now, much less preparing a clients' tax return and being stuck on a software program function or data entry screen.

"I am not sure if asking in the ordinary user forum would yield anything useful..."

Intuit, as part of marketing TurboTax, maintains a bunch of Subforums for Community Issues. That's why this is offered in Links. Did you click it?

"Any recommendations in my case? Should I hire an accountant somewhere?"

I googled:

5071C

And found:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/security/tips-for-handling-identity-verification-requests-from-...

among all of the other results.

Niahsdad
Level 1

I have the 5071c form informing me to verify my identity I try numerous times but I keep getting locked out. I can't get through the phone due to call volume and it hangs up on me is it another way to verify my identity

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@Niahsdad 

Please follow the previous advice & visit the TurboTax forum.  This forum isn't intended to be used by DIYers.  We are tax professionals; we earn our living by handling issues for our paying clients.

Alternatively, hire a tax professional in your area & pay them for their knowledge.

Thanks

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Niahsdad
Level 1

I am receiving refund not paying

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@Niahsdad 

Again... this site is NOT for DIYers.  Seek a local tax pro to assist you.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Niahsdad nobody here can help you contact IRS, sorry.   

You'll need to reach out to a taxpayer advocate, and see if they have some kind of assistance they can offer:  https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/notices/letter-5071-c/

or contact your closest local IRS office and confirm your identity in person.

victorlater
Level 1

I would say that they just want to take care of clients who can not be identified or do not have a bank account or credit card so they are informed of other options such as going intoan IRS office personally, faxing docs or mail sending them to 3651 S IH 35, STOP 6579 AUSC. AUSTIN TX 73301-0059

send documents like 1040 for the years filing, along with w2s, schedule , etc.  2 ids like dl , passport  and Birth cert.,and a bill , the letter 5071c , 

0 Cheers
victorlater
Level 1

I would say that they just want to take care of clients who can not be identified or do not have a bank account or credit card so they are informed of other options such as going into an IRS office personally, faxing docs or mail sending them to 3651 S IH 35, STOP 6579 AUSC. AUSTIN TX 73301-0059 send documents like 1040 for the years filing, along with w2s, schedule , etc.  2 ids like dl , passport  and Birth cert.,and a bill , the letter 5071c , 

0 Cheers
victorlater
Level 1

I would say that they just want to take care of clients who can not be identified or do not have a bank account or credit card so they are informed of other options such as going into an IRS office personally, faxing docs or mail sending them to 3651 S IH 35, STOP 6579 AUSC. AUSTIN TX 73301-0059 send documents Copies not originals like 1040 for the years filing, along with w2s, schedule , etc.  2 ids like dl , passport  and Birth cert.,and ( a bill--optional ), and the letter 5071c , 

0 Cheers
Greta
Level 9

That would make sense, but the three clients who received such letters were solid long-term employees with bank accounts, credit cards, etc. Odd that they received these letters, and it took a long time to contact the phone number the IRS suggested -- unavailable a dozen times regardless of what time the call was placed.

0 Cheers
jefferypruitt
Level 1

Yes, for several months I cannot get through to the verifications and identification office

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@jefferypruitt 

Hi. You are still Lost on the Internet. No one here has anything to do with what you are trying to do.

0 Cheers