Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited Property Sale

kabbabkkg
Level 3

I have a client that will inherit the proceeds from the sale of property.  I understand that this will be entered on their tax return.  The issue is the sale may have completed the end of the year but they will not get their proceeds till 2021.  Do they claim the income on 2020 return or 2021 when the proceeds are received.

I appreciate any answers that will clear this for me so I can pass on to my client.

Sandy

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

18 Comments 18
itonewbie
Level 15

Is your client inheriting the property or the proceeds from the sale?  There is a difference between the two.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"the sale may have completed" in 2020?

May have? Either it did or it did not.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
George4Tacks
Level 15
Was the sale completed by the living owner, or by the estate of a deceased owner of the proprety?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im guessing your client will see a K-1 at some point for this event, once you have that you'll know how it all went down and what your client needs to report or not.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
kabbabkkg
Level 3

The original owner is deceased the children of owner inherited the building but it is being sold.   Not sure if that is done yet.   I just need to know if they claim the proceeds when sale happens or when proceeds are received

0 Cheers
kabbabkkg
Level 3

Yes there will be a k1

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Did your client inherit the home, which they then sold, or did the home go to the estate and was sold by the estate?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The original owner is deceased"

When, relative to this sale?

"the children of owner inherited the building"

Did they? Or, did the person who owned the building die, and this building is part of the estate of the deceased, and once the building is sold, the Funds are then part of the estate, and the funds are dispersed?

Or, the children really did inherit the building (in which case, when, relative to the death)/ And they own a building and all have agreed it should be sold and all will get their share of the proceeds?

You are not giving any perspective to the sequence of events. You seem focused on the distribution of Funds, but no one can answer until you help determine what happened and when and it what sequence, for purposes of tax reporting.

Here is an Example of how to tell the story to us:

The person died last week leaving a home that was wholly owned and had three adult children that will inherit the home and any remainder of the estate through a will. The building is considered to be part of the deceased estate that totals about $1million, so the sale, which is timely and at FMV, might mean that nothing will be reported on the tax returns. The inheritance is no longer "share of building" but "share of proceeds" with no gain to report.

Or, the children inherited the commercial building a few years ago, and now they have decided to sell that building.

See how the story matters?

kabbabkkg
Level 3

It was a business part of the decedent s estate

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@kabbabkkg 

Your answer to this: "Do they claim the income on 2020 return or 2021 when the proceeds are received."

Is Yes and No or Maybe not at all. We have asked many questions, so it should be clear to you we don't have enough info from you. Let's go back to this statement: "I understand that this will be entered on their tax return."

Why do you think this will be needed? Tell us your determination based on the facts and circumstances.

kabbabkkg
Level 3

The only info i have is the family inherited a bakery that blonged to the father it has been closed since he died and they are selling.  My clients question was if they sell in 2020 but do not receive the proceeds till 2021 they will get a k1 which has been stated by the lawyers but my thinking is they will put on 2020 return i just need this verified that my thought is right before i get with my client

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
They need to ask the attorney or tax preparer thats doing the trust/estate return what to expect.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
George4Tacks
Level 15

The income will be reported on 2020. How much income? 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  "They need to ask the attorney or tax preparer thats doing the trust/estate return what to expect."

The first question might be, is the estate going to use the calendar year or a fiscal year for filing its 1041.  

Diane Stephens
Level 2

LIVING CLIENT

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@Diane Stephens 

You posted a Reply as a comment in someone else's topic on an internet discussion forum, and the topic is from Jan 2021. This is not Robot chat or keyword help.

In general, starting your own topic under the subforum of the program you are using, putting in a Title, then adding your content to the input panel, will help you get the specific info you are seeking.

Right now, the answer is: To Inherit, there has to be a Dead Person. You stated yours is a Living Client.

Not sure how this relates.

0 Cheers
lkmccor
Level 1

You refer to a timely sale. How long a time period is "timely"? 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@lkmccor 

There was a new reply in this really old topic. Nothing else applies.

0 Cheers