Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

individual shared responsibility payment

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

New client, have to amend 2012 - 2018. those years required the individual shared responsibility payment, I know it went away in 2019, but does it still have to be paid when amending, now that it no longer exists. Long story, but IRS issued intent to levy, and I requested hearing, and need to amend those years. He is a friend of a friend otherwise I would have passed seeing I am now semi retired

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

It is my understanding that they can't force payment/use collection of the shared responsibility "penalty"

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

It is my understanding that they can't force payment/use collection of the shared responsibility "penalty"

Ex-AllStar
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Thanks for the reply SJR. Do you have any documentation that you could point me to, as I have read the usually irs sources, and it says it applies prior to 2019. Any court cases have you heard of. I have also read on irs that they can't force collections, but can offset any refunds

sjrcpa
Level 15

"I have also read on irs that they can't force collections, but can offset any refunds."

That's my understanding too. 

No I don't have any documentation to point you to.

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

IRC §5000A(g)(2)(B):

(B) Limitations on liens and levies

The Secretary shall not—

(i) file notice of lien with respect to any property of a taxpayer by reason of any failure to pay the penalty imposed by this section, or

(ii) levy on any such property with respect to such failure.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

But they certainly can keep sending letters, and maybe be able to send it to "collections".  They just can't 'force' anything via a lien or levy.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Thanks to all for sharing, really appreciate it