Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In ProSeries Basic, unemployment income is adjusted automatically and when the state return is opened, the deduction affected AGI and creation of the MI1040X amended return doesn't flow.

mpdelleree
Level 2

In ProSeries Basic, if I open a filed return that had reported full unemployment without the $10,200 exclusion, the return is automatically adjusted to show the reduced AGI.  At that point I can't tell what the original amounts were that was filed.  And then to open up the state (MI), I can't create an amended return because the state return AGI has already changed (reduced), I don't have a before and after scenario to create a MI1040X.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I don't have a before and after scenario to create a MI1040X"

Rule number 1 - never trust the software to keep your only copy of the return ---------- things change and so does the software.  You always need to keep a paper or pdf copy of the return prepared.

Go back into the return and temporarily override the $10,200 exclusion.  Then proceed on with your amending of the return and cancel the override.  It's better than calling your clients to see if they have a copy of the return that you prepared for them.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"At that point I can't tell what the original amounts were that was filed."

You should have a printed or pdf copy of the return as it was originally filed saved somewhere, no?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
PATAX
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- @IRonMaN quite a few posts this year dealing with this same matter... I can't believe that tax preparers actually complete returns and do not have a paper and/or PDF copy... Maybe I'm a little mean but something doesn't sound right...

IRonMaN
Level 15

Some folks just don't realize that things can change and often do.  But hopefully everyone learns from their oversight.

Slava Ukraini!
mpdelleree
Level 2

I have a pdf copy.  I can determine the before and after.  I can always lock the return so it doesn't change when I open it. 
YOU MISSED THE POINT.  You can't determine the before and after if you just open a client file.  WHY is the program changing what was previously efiled?  The programmers are altering the original return.  There should have been another way around this change.  I should open the original return, and have a message block appear,  or whatever,  explaining a change may recalculate the return.  It should be an option, not an automatic recalculation when you open it.