Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illinois and reciprocal agreement with Michigan

lizfidoruk
Level 3

So I am confused.  In the Illinois software I selected Michigan as the state my client worked in but lived in Illinois. Employer in Michigan withheld Michigan taxes. They should not have.   This was the case for 2017, 2018 and 2019.  We got a letter from Illinois that is disallowing  the tax credit from Michigan due to the reciprocal agreement for only 2019.  IL assessed penalties and told us to get the money back from Michigan.

I guess I am aware of the reciprocal agreement but I thought I input it all correctly as I marked the MI box in Illinois

1) Why wasn't this caught by Illinois in 2017 & 2018, did something change in 2019 in Illinois or the software? Do you think they still may come back for 2017 & 2018?

2) Why if I prepared the Michigan return first, Illinois second and selected Michigan as the state in the tax software why was the credit allowed? 

Is this a software glitch or do I need to enter this differently somehow to make it work?

On line 50 I x'd the box that says Michigan yet it did not say we couldn't take the tax credit from Michigan and allowed the withholdings from Michigan to remain as a credit.

I need to figure this out as 2020 will be the same.

thank you in advance.

Stay safe

Liz

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Did you check the box for non-resident state and fill out non-residency worksheet on federal info worksheet? 

There should be NO tax credit on Illinois. These are reciprocal states. You pay full tax in illinois on the income and claim a full refund on Michigan. 

What I always try to do is file the non-resident state first and early and use the refund to pay off illinois. The bad thing is is that there will be a penalty for underpaying Illinois income tax as no tax was withheld. If employer does not withhold Illinois going forward and client can afford it, make estimated tax payments. 

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Did you check the box for non-resident state and fill out non-residency worksheet on federal info worksheet? 

There should be NO tax credit on Illinois. These are reciprocal states. You pay full tax in illinois on the income and claim a full refund on Michigan. 

What I always try to do is file the non-resident state first and early and use the refund to pay off illinois. The bad thing is is that there will be a penalty for underpaying Illinois income tax as no tax was withheld. If employer does not withhold Illinois going forward and client can afford it, make estimated tax payments. 

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

1) Why wasn't this caught by Illinois in 2017 & 2018, did something change in 2019 in Illinois or the software? Do you think they still may come back for 2017 & 2018?

NOTHING CHANGED. THEY HAVE BEEN RECIPROCAL STATES FOREVER.

2) Why if I prepared the Michigan return first, Illinois second and selected Michigan as the state in the tax software why was the credit allowed? 

THERE ARE NO CREDITS INVOLVED WHATSOEVER. DOESN'T MATTER THE ORDER YOU PREPARE THEM IN...SAME RESULT. THERE ARE NO CREDITS AT ALL IN THIS SCENARIO.

HERE'S HOW TO MAKE IT WORK:

1. FIRST ENTER THE WAGES ON THE W-2 WKSHT AND INDICATE "MI" AS THE STATE SOURCE.

2. BE SURE (ON THE INFO WKSHT AT THE BOTTOM) YOU MARK "NONRESIDENT" AND THEN ENTER 'MI". I'M SURE YOU'VE ALREADY DONE THIS. BUT WHAT YOU ARE VERY LIKELY DOING WRONG (COMMON ERROR) IS YOU NEED TO THEN...

3. GO INTO THE "QUICKZOOM TO NONRESIDENT STATE ALLOCATION WORKSHEET" AND ENTER ZERO AS THE WAGES IN THE MICHIGAN COLUMN. THE PROGRAM WILL AUTOMATICALLY ENTER THE MI WAGES IN THE MI COLUMN, BUT YOU NEED TO ZERO IT OUT. VOILA! PROBLEM SOLVED.

YOU'LL GET THE FULL MICHIGAN TAX REFUND AND OWE A BOATLOAD TO ILLINOIS BECAUSE YOUR CLIENT HAS NOT BEEN MAKING IL EST TAX PAYMENTS. HAVE THEM START MAKING IL EST TAX PMNTS FOR 2021.

Is this a software glitch or do I need to enter this differently somehow to make it work?

NOPE - NO SOFTWARE GLITCH AT ALL.

On line 50 I x'd the box that says Michigan yet it did not say we couldn't take the tax credit from Michigan and allowed the withholdings from Michigan to remain as a credit.

YOU GOT IT - YOU GET ABSLUTELY NO CREDIT WHATSOEVER BECUASE THEY ARE RECIPROCAL STATES. 

Stay safe, warm and eat well. Oh, and brush your teeth too. 🙂

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@Ephesians3-14 **bleep**, that was extremely detailed and well done. I am coming to you with my issues too. 

And brushing your teeth is very important!!

Kudos @Ephesians3-14 

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

OR........Claim exempt from MI and take that $$ and make Est Tax Pymts to Illinois. Just thought of it. 

SMART, HUH???? 😂🤣😂

0 Cheers
lizfidoruk
Level 3

Thank you for your response.  Yes I selected non resident state on the info worksheet. I did not QUICKZOOM to  fill the non residency worksheet as ZERO at the federal level. Source of problem I guess. 

Agreed to the tax credit for IL, guess I was just puzzled on why if I selected the MI in IL tax return that it didn't calculate correctly or give me some type of error message, I think an error message was in order here.  And why two tax years filed this way was never questioned, just the third.  Guess IL is getting better with their controls as they are desperate for some money.

Good suggestion on filing the non resident state first, I was thinking the same.  I am lucky this is a family member who may forgive me...... And they stopped working out of state late 2020 so that will be my last year dealing with this.

0 Cheers
lizfidoruk
Level 3

Thank you, you are right on target with the "quick zoom", I'm frustrated that I didn't get some type of error warning so I could have fixed this problem.  I did select MI on IL question 50 yet no warning about the withholding tax being taken as a credit of taxes paid.

Surprised 2017 & 2018 went through, hope IL still doesn't  figure it out....

First time I posted a problem in the Community, and this is excellent advice.  I will be sure not to hesitate to reach out to the forum in the future.  Now I have to figure out how to electronically transmit an amended state return.

Found the instructions so should go smoothly  (ha ha as if anything goes smoothly with taxes)

Appreciate the reminder to brush my teeth LOL, I can honestly tell you I do brush twice a day 😊

Have a smooth tax season and stay safe.