Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If someone that receives social security and gets claimed as a dependent, will they receive the stimulus check ?

dave_ange85
Level 1
a parent that lives with you and receives social security will they
receive the stimulus/
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

20 Comments 20
IRonMaN
Level 15

I guess you will eventually find out.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If they were claimed as a dependent they should not receive the EIP....but deceased people are getting paid, so you never know......I'll be curious to see what happens.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN "I guess you will eventually find out."

God grant me the serenity
To accept the stimulus checks that I received
Patience to wait for those that may yet come
And wisdom to know the difference.

abctax55
Level 15

Bob... you write poetry; who would have guessed 🤣

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
lynn-retired
Level 2

No

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Thats actually a good question....

I will ask a client of mine as she claims her brother who is on SSDI. 

qbteachmt
Level 15

"as she claims her brother who is on SSDI."

People on SSDI will get their own payment, though.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

But not someone who collects SS due to age?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

It's the Wild West out there right know so nobody can really say who will or won't get a check.  Dead people are getting checks.  Not being legally entitled to a check doesn't mean that one won't show up anyway.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"But not someone who collects SS due to age?"

Yes, as long as they are getting their payments by Direct Deposit, then get their stimulus payment electronically; otherwise, it will be a paper check.

Are you subscribed to any of the e-newsletters:

https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USIRS/subscriber/new?preferences=true

You get these to your inbox, timely.

For instance:

"Payments will also be automatic for people who receive Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), or survivor benefits or Railroad Retirement benefits who don’t normally file a tax return."

Came out 10 days ago, titled "COVID Tax Tip 2020-40: Here’s how much individuals will get from the Economic Impact Payments"

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@qbteachmt wrote:

"But not someone who collects SS due to age?"

Yes, as long as they are getting their payments by Direct Deposit, then get their stimulus payment electronically; otherwise, it will be a paper check.

Are you subscribed to any of the e-newsletters:

https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USIRS/subscriber/new?preferences=true

You get these to your inbox, timely.

For instance:

"Payments will also be automatic for people who receive Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), or survivor benefits or Railroad Retirement benefits who don’t normally file a tax return."

Came out 10 days ago, titled "COVID Tax Tip 2020-40: Here’s how much individuals will get from the Economic Impact Payments"

Ok, I will sign up.....

I just want to make sure we are on same page here.......if I claim my mom as a dependent and she is on SS, she WILL still get the stimulus check? I would think being claimed disqualifies someone from getting the stim check. I could be wrong tho. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I just want to make sure we are on same page here"

You can research every permutation that applies, at any resource that is posted, and you will get your own notifications from the e-newsletter subscription services, which include links to their newest topics they provided on the web.

That's why I sometimes know the things from over a week ago that the public is just now asking about on forums. It isn't magic; it's Information.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Oh, for laughs, subscribe to CFPB and FTC e-newsletter; they keep sending me notices about the covid-19 fraudsters 🙂

Coronavirus Checks: Flattening the Scam Curve
This blog from the FTC highlights the new ways scammers are using the economic impact payments to trick people.

FTC Sends 21 Letters Warning Marketers to Stop Making Unsupported Claims That Their Products and The...

Supposed therapies range from stem cell infusions to acupuncture and ozone treatmen

This just arrived from the IRS:

e-News for Small Business, Issue 2020-7 Go to IRS.gov/coronavirus for latest updates regarding Coronavirus tax relief

I am getting more of these a day than used to come in a week.

4.  COVID-19 Tax Tips series begins

To help taxpayers understand issues related to COVID-19, the IRS started a special series of Tax Tips focused on the Economic Impact Payments, tax scams and other emerging issues.

The Tax Tips are short, plain language descriptions of important tax provisions that are important to individuals, self-employed taxpayers and businesses. We hope you will help share this information with employees, family and friends, clients and members of their professional organizations.

People interested in receiving these via email can sign up on the IRS e-news subscription page and select Tax Tips.

It's all out there.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@qbteachmt wrote:

"I just want to make sure we are on same page here"

You can research every permutation that applies, at any resource that is posted, and you will get your own notifications from the e-newsletter subscription services, which include links to their newest topics they provided on the web.

That's why I sometimes know the things from over a week ago that the public is just now asking about on forums. It isn't magic; it's Information.

I like information.

Thanks alot!

sjrcpa
Level 15
qbteachmt
Level 15

@garman22 

Did you sign up? This just came by email:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/va-ssi-recipients-with-eligible-children-need-to-act-by-may-5-to-quickl...

0 Cheers
FREDW21901
Level 3

The latest IRS bulletins make it clear that a parent on SS retirement but claimed as a dependent on another return will not be getting the stimulus at all. Same for student dependents over 17.

My question is whether they would get it if an amended return is filed removing them as dependents would make them eligible this or next year for full stimulus? Or is there a chance IRS will allow some kind of on line fix to remove dependents while waiting for amended paper returns to be processed.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"My question is whether they would get it if an amended return is filed removing them as dependents would make them eligible this or next year for full stimulus? Or is there a chance IRS will allow some kind of on line fix to remove dependents while waiting for amended paper returns to be processed."

So which return was prepared fraudulently - the original or the amended?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

The law says

“any individual with respect to whom a deduction under section 151 is allowable to another taxpayer”

is not eligible.

Do you know the difference between “allowed” and “allowable”? Maybe you have done some simple returns with rental income, where you had to deduct depreciation even if the tax was already zero. Or if the property was sold, you had to calculate the depreciation that should have been claimed even though some incompetent preparer didn’t do so.

No? Maybe you were absent that day. I think it was in the third week of class. But now you know.

qbteachmt
Level 15

New email today:

COVID Tax Tip 2020-49

And wow, there's even one listed for May 4th, here:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-tax-tips

Which is why it helps to look it up yourself and watch for new updates.

Honestly, I don't see how this applies: "Do you know the difference between “allowed” and “allowable”?"

Here's my expectation for this scenario: a person getting SSI/SSDI/SS is going to get the money. Then, at tax time for filing 2020, there will be a reckoning just like at the OK Corral.

0 Cheers