Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I sell my tax practice, can I transfer my ProSeries license to the buyer?

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

I am considering selling my practice and wondering if I can simply transfer my ProSeries license to the buyer? I know that the new buyer would need his own EFIN number. But if I could just transfer my license to him, would he be able to access all of my prior year client tax files?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I took over my employers client list when he retired several years ago, and he transferred his license over to me.   I just got my own EFIN.

A new customer would probably get a better deal on the software though, so it may be more advantageous for the buyer to get their own Intuit License.  They can still transfer your clients into their own software.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Accountant-Man
Level 12

You just have to use Pro Series to access the files that the seller gives you. Intuit doesn't have them. 

I did it 6 years ago. The seller gave me a memory stick.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Keep in mind that if you are giving the private information of your clients to somebody else (the buyer) that you probably need a signed disclosure from the client authorizing you to do so.

dkh
Level 15

I'm curious if the pandemic has been a major factor in your decision to sell.     I'm a germaphobe struggling with thoughts of next tax seasons parade of clients.   Selling/downsizing has been on my mind.   Do you care to share?

Accountant-Man
Level 12

When I bought it 6 years ago, he sent the disclosure letter with his announcement. We also included the mention of two additional years of returns back too, just in case somebody needed an amendment.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.