Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a rental property was not used in 2019, can you suspend the depreciation from being carried over onto the return for that year?

chiodoinc
Level 4

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Was it still available for rent but was being worked on or couldn't find a suitable tenant?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
chiodoinc
Level 4

Yes, both.  They spent half the year working on repairs and fixing it up and then they had a hard time finding a qualified tenant.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Sounds like its still a rental property, you wouldn't need to suspend depreciation for this.  I'm sure you have property taxes, utilities and all the repairs you incurred as well as advertising and whatnot for attempting to find a tenant....these are all still valid rental expenses even though you werent able to collect any rents for the year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
lferonti
Level 3

I have one that is truly suspended for now.....how do I stop it for this year but potentially pick it back up next year?

0 Cheers