Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verification for a Decedent

BobKamman
Level 15

Taxpayer died in November 2020.

Final 1040 was filed by estate PR in April.

Letter this week from Austin SC asks decedent to go to IRS website and have the letter and copy of return handy.

Refund of $1,700 is being held until she complies.

Has anyone else had to verify a decedent’s identity? How did it go?

Sleep well tonight, America – IRS is protecting you from the dead.

9 Comments 9
PATAX
Level 15

I have a client that had power of attorney for his elderly mother.... He had to do that and it went okay... If my memory serves me right they asked him about the figures on the prior-year tax return to verify identity...

sjrcpa
Level 15

Was she still alive?

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

Yes she was still alive at that time, ....Also the IRS office that took care of that was out of Austin Texas...

PATAX
Level 15

Also I am not sure why that return was chosen for identity verification since the refund was applied as usual to the next year.... The return was not complicated but she did have a large amount of interest income, six digits not counting pennies...

TAXOH
Level 11

I had one once but it was from the state of Ohio, not the IRS.  I called them and they had me fax a copy of the death certificate and then they released the refund. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Or you could just invest in a Ouija Board.  

Slava Ukraini!
Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

Identity application might not be able to distinguish status of taxpayer.  On the other hand, was a Form 1310 attached to the filing?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

No 1310 attached,  but a copy of the Letters of PR and the death certificate.  

Went to the IRS website for this.  They require a credit card and phone number for the decedent.  I think I have read somewhere that if you try that and it fails, you are locked out forever.  So this morning I tried calling the IRS number on the notice.  After listening to the recorded spiel about using the website, the message says that they are too busy right now so call back later, or another day. 

My clients aren't in urgent need of the $1,700 refund and I have told them the best way to get IRS attention is with a Congressional.  Might try a Form 911 first, to see if Taxpayer Advocate ignores it like the last one I filed.  (IRS ignored Tax Court judgment and assessed a higher amount of tax.)

Taxes-by-Rocky
Level 7

They definitely need to do something.  Either simplify the tax code or add lots more bodies to handle the complexity.

0 Cheers