Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to use a clients 2019 earned income to qualify for the EITC on the 2020 return. I am getting a message that the return must be mailed in vs electronic filing. Is this accurate? It contradicts the encouragement to file electronically

jTowers9267
Level 2

Again, I need to use the earned income from 2019 to claim EITC for 2020.  When I complete the EIC worksheet I get a message that I can't e-file the return based on unsubstantiated information.  Is there a way around this?  It contradicts the encouragement to do everything possible to file electronically.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That message seems to occur when there $0 of Earned Income in 2020.  Is that true in your case?

I suspect that is a program error, and hopefully they will fix that.  You might be able to ignore the message and disable error-checking when you e-file it.

jTowers9267
Level 2

You are correct; the cllient had zero earned income in 2020.  Let's hope it is a fix by intuit.  Thanks for the thoughts.

BobKamman
Level 15

Or is there a Schedule C loss involved?  IRS encouragement of electronic filing is trumped (pardon the term) by IRS encouragement to question every EIC claimant as a tax cheat.  

jTowers9267
Level 2

No Schedule C loss...........all 2020 income was from unemployment compensation.

0 Cheers