Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a client earning foreign income in UAE since 12/05/2005 he permanently left UAE for the US 4/30/2019 does he still qualify for the bona fide residence test

Dak2019
Level 3
I have a client who have been  earning foreign income in UAE since 12/05/2005 he permanently left UAE for the US 4/30/2019 does he still qualify for the bona fide residence test for 2019 tax return ?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes but would probably be better off using PPT if he qualifies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

Yes but would probably be better off using PPT if he qualifies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Dak2019
Level 3

Can you explain ? The PPT

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Reading this would be a good start: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-54

Still an AllStar
rbynaker
Level 13

itonewbie is our foreign tax expert, so go with whatever he says. 🙂  I think Physical Presence Test (PPT) is probably better because of the rolling 365-day window.  Assuming your client was not in the US for any period of time, that lets you choose a 365-day period that extends 35 days beyond the time they left UAE to still meet the 330-day test.  That gets you a little more prorated exclusion cap (but you might not need it, depending on the amount of income).

itonewbie
Level 15

@rbynakerThat's exactly the reason.

Still an AllStar