Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSA eligibility

Greta
Level 9

I seem to recall that if you have ACA coverage, or Medicare, you are not eligible for HSA deductions. Is that true?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhilG_CPA
Level 3

If a taxpayer is enrolled in Medicare, no contributions to HSAs are allowable. For ACA coverage, I think it defaults to the normal limits for HDHP plans (deductible of $1,350 for individual or $2,700 for family in 2020). I'm not sure if HDHP plans are offered through the exchanges, but Medicare is a definite "No" for HSAs.

I drive a minivan.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
PhilG_CPA
Level 3

If a taxpayer is enrolled in Medicare, no contributions to HSAs are allowable. For ACA coverage, I think it defaults to the normal limits for HDHP plans (deductible of $1,350 for individual or $2,700 for family in 2020). I'm not sure if HDHP plans are offered through the exchanges, but Medicare is a definite "No" for HSAs.

I drive a minivan.
qbteachmt
Level 15

The coverage through the Marketplace has to be a HDHP to meet the HSA requirements. Just because it is through the marketplace or not has nothing to do with HSA. You are eligible for HSA deduction if your coverage plan is High Deductible and qualifies for HSA. In the Marketplace, you can select "HSA qualified" as a Filter, for shopping the plans.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

The 2020 minimum annual deductible is $1,400 for self-only HDHP coverage (up from $1,350 in 2019) and $2,800 for family HDHP coverage (up from $2,700 in 2019).

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
PhilG_CPA
Level 3

Right you are on the limits. I had the wrong year in my response. Thanks!

I drive a minivan.
0 Cheers