Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSA contribution when spouse dies during year

taxesbydot
Level 3

New client lost his wife to cancer in April 2019. They contributed $8000 to their HSA at the beginning of the year.  Would there be an excess contribution that needs to be added back as income?

Another complication is that he turned 65 in 2019. I am waiting to hear if he started medicare and had HDHP.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

See if this article is helpful:

https://dpath.com/mid-year-change-of-status-hsa/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
qbteachmt
Level 15

Unfortunately, a HDHP under Medicare is not HSA qualified.

You would remove the overage, once you do the math for what is his limit for the year, and do so before the due date (which includes extension) of that return. Make sure to remove any earnings, as well. Don't leave it and keep paying the 6% excise tax and it seems you won't have any amount to "let it ride, pay the fee once, then apply it to the next year" if he now is on Medicare.

taxesbydot
Level 3

Unfortunately, I am amending the return because he didn't tell me about the contribution in the first place. Would she be eligible up until date of death?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

HSA contributions are factored by monthly qualification. Died in April = 4/12 qualified. He goes on Medicare in July = 6/12 qualified. Don't overlook each of them might also be qualified for the $1,000 catchup amount for being 55 or older.

qbteachmt
Level 15

See if this article is helpful:

https://dpath.com/mid-year-change-of-status-hsa/

taxesbydot
Level 3

Yes it was. Thank you very much.