Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to resolve a form 2555 error message resulting from a recent Proseries software update

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

Please see the most updated response above. 

response.png

Cheers! 

Betty Jo 

0 Cheers
vonalm
Level 3

i have the same problem...... and now my European clients are ready for their returns!  btw, how to you disable error check?
holding for Tech support right now.

0 Cheers
DRios
Level 2

This is extremely frustrating. The form is definitely not working as designed.  I have various returns on hold and clients wanting confirmation of filing.  These taxpayers have had foreign earned income for multiple year and ARE eligible for the exclusion.  I have carried these taxpayers for many years and am very experienced in the international reporting.  Form 2555 is giving an error that the information is not filled into the form and that is not the case.  We need this resolved immediately in order to proceed with filing.

0 Cheers
Donnie_B_Good
Level 3

To disable error checking, go to the EF Center view, select your client  and press EF Now.  The bottom box under Options is pre-checked "Enable conversion error checking".  Uncheck this box.

This will allow a return with errors to be transmitted, but if the errors are serious, the IRS will Reject the return.  So only uncheck this box when you KNOW the error you wish to override will not be fatal.

0 Cheers
Elaine120647
Level 1

April 28, 2020 (3:45 PM CST)

The Form 2555 error mentioned in this thread has not been resolved as of this date and time.  I am having the same problem.

0 Cheers
TexasTax
Level 1

I found a workaround that has worked and the returns have been accepted by the IRS. If you are having the single error on the Form 2555 that indicates you need to enter dates on either line 10 or 16 of the form, I left the error there. I went out to the e-file "pending" listing and selected the returns I wanted to e-file, even thought they had that error. After highlighting the returns, I clicked e-file. There is an error box that pops up that I acknowledged there was an error and moved forward. Then a gray box comes up that you can uncheck error checking. Assuming you are comfortable with it not going through Intuit's checking in e-filing, it should go onto the IRS. I was able to file three out of three returns last night - so far no pushback and the indication is that they were accepted by the IRS.

jslatin27
Level 1

The work around with e-filing form 2555 when the error occurs saying dates must be entered on line 10 or 16 worked great on a return I had already gotten the esignature for, but I am not able to get an esignature request to go through with this error now since it says it failed final review.  Is there a  work around for sending the esignature request?

0 Cheers
chickenlittle33
Level 1

Wow.....This Worked!!   Thank you, GLP!

0 Cheers
DRios
Level 2

Unfortunately this problem has been going on over a week and nothing has been done.  I cannot delete the 2555 form like people are recommending.  I have many clients with foreign assignments and I need to be able to properly exclude their income.  I have five tax returns on hold right now due to this problem.  We need ProSeries to correct the issue.  I have been checking and refreshing updates since last week. My clients are getting anxious and this is a big concern.

0 Cheers
DRios
Level 2

Thank you!! I've been using the program for years and had never actually looked at that box! I was just able to file two of the ones I was pending.

0 Cheers
JWM
Level 3

If you do not want form 2555:

Make sure you do not have a value on form 2555 page 3, or on 2555-Inc or 2555-Ded .... data on these forms might prevent you from deleting form 2555 pp 1-2.

If you want 2555, and you are sure it is correct, you can code the return for efile, save it, and then from Homebase highlight the return, push efile button, deselect error checking and execute conversion and efile.

0 Cheers
JCAparicio
Level 2

I have been waiting for an update to fix this error message (10 days since April 20). The only way to Efile  is unchecking option "Enable conversion error checking" at your own risk assuming everything is correct on Form 2555. It is frustrated and disappointed that Professional Proseries is having a bug or issues with a Form by the end of April and taking more than 10 days to fix the problem after it was reported. I lost time and money first trying to figure out the problem even deleting the entire return and transfer the client again and also deleting the form itself and filling out all the information.  Tech Support just said 'WAIT' for the upcoming udate. WHEN?????????????? This is not DRAKE or ATX !!!! We paid 3 to 4 times more or thousands of dollars to get this by end of APRIL!!!! NO MORE COMMENTS

0 Cheers
JrKovan
Level 2

Unacceptable answer. Intuit should all really be embarrassed here. Has not been fixed. So basically, we can't efile clients or have to disable efile errors in order to make this work??!?  So what do we all tell our clients? Have to wait a few months to efile your return because Proseries doesn't work?

0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

If you were experiencing an error on the address field of the Form 2555, that issue is now resolved.  Please note you will need to update your ProSeries product.

ProSeries Professional 1040 version should now be 2019.27.0.1 or higher.

ProSeries Basic 1040 version should now be 2019.27.0.2 or higher.

You can locate your 1040 version by going to HELP> ABOUT PROSERIES, selecting the VERSIONS tab, and looking for the section in the bottom table labeled: S2019US1040PRO (pictured below is a screenshot from ProSeries Professional)ProVersion2555.png

0 Cheers
davidlcarter
Level 2

Update 2019.27.0.1 did fix the problem that I had with 2555.  But now when I mark the W2 as Foreign income it asks for an EIN.  AE doesn't issue W2s or have an EIN.  Before 2019-27-0-1 this wasn't a problem

0 Cheers
DRios
Level 2

You don't need to enter a W-2 for foreign income.  The Foreign Earned Income Allocation Worksheet has a box right under Line 5 where you mark the X indicating that your foreign income does not have a W-2 and should still be included in Line 1 of the 1040.  I've always used this option and have never tried to enter the info straight into a W-2 screen.  Hope this helps.

AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

W-2s require EIN if there is any data beginning in box 1.  The EIN is required when entering.  While I am a product expert (not a tax expert), i would be inclined to agree with @DRios on the comment about where to enter foreign income, but would encourage you to right click the EIN field from within the w2 and select ABOUT to get more info on that, and likewise refer to government instructions on how to handle that too.  Hope that helps

Donnie_B_Good
Level 3

I've entered my clients's foreign wages on the "Wages, Salaries & Tips Worksheet", Line 8b and then checked box 8c.  This carries the wages over to the "Foreign Earned Income Allocation Worksheet" and no EIN needs entered. 

davidlcarter
Level 2

Thank you, that fixed it for me

JeffV
Level 2

Thanks so much for resolving this problem.  It looks like the error message has been resolved.

0 Cheers
Marcus CPA
Level 2

The error message Schedule 1 total income exclusion does not equal total of for 2555; this will occur when you try to override an entry on 2555 i.e. days work in foreign country. Remove or fix all override and the IRS will accept the return