Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO PREPARE AN AMENDED RETURN THAT WAS MADE BY ANOTHER TAX PREPARER?

Flor1983
Level 2

THIS PERSON WENT TO ANOTHER TAX PREPARER TO DO HIS TAXES HE FIND OUT THAT THE REPORT WAS WRONG IN HIS STATUS AND HIS WIFE WAS NOT INCUDED AND HER INCOME EITHER. COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME  WHAT ARE THE PROPER STEPS IN PREPARING THIS AMENDED IN PROSERIES BASIC?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Recreate the original return in ProSeries, once it all matches the original, then activate the 1040X and state amended (if necessary), then make the appropriate changes, the original figures and the corrected figures should all flow to the amended returns.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

I would start all over, prepare a joint 1040, mark it "SUPERSEDING RETURN" and paper file before July 15.  99% of the time, Form 1040-X is the best choice, but not this time.  If you use a 1040-X, I think you have to attach a 1040 anyway to show how you came up with the numbers.  Has a refund been paid already on the original, incorrect return?  The superseding return may show a refund in a smaller amount, but IRS will adjust the account and send a bill for the difference.  Or if the refund is higher, they will pay only the difference (with interest).  

Flor1983
Level 2

Do I recreate the return including his wife and her income?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

No, youd recreate exactly what was filed...after you activate the amended form, then you'll add all the wifes info/income.

Flor1983
Level 2

In what part of the software do I activate the amendment?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Once you have the return looking exactly like the original, go to Forms on the top menu bar and hit the letter X, that should take you to the 1040X, open it and put the year in at the top.   

If a state is involved, open the state return and open their amended form and input the year on it as  well, then go back to he federal return and make all your corrections.