Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to increase basis on a rental property due to a capitol improvement in Pro Series Basic

Mikeman
Level 2

How to increase basis of rental property due to a capitol improvement in Pro Series Basic

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is this the first year with the rental and yorue just setting it up?  If so, then what youve done would work...if this was an existing rental and they made improvements at a later date, then youd add a separate asset entry worksheet.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

Capitol (sic) improvements get added to the fixed asset/depreciation schedule. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Fill out a new asset entry worksheet for the improvements.

Mikeman
Level 2

Thank you for the reply.

I tried that but it does not increase the original basis going forward. What I did was double clicked on the original asset cost which opens up a supporting statement where I listed the original cost and then the improvement cost and it changed the value on the asset entry worksheet.

How does that sound to you? 

0 Cheers
Mikeman
Level 2

Can you direct me to that schedule in pro series basic?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Is this the first year with the rental and yorue just setting it up?  If so, then what youve done would work...if this was an existing rental and they made improvements at a later date, then youd add a separate asset entry worksheet.

0 Cheers
Mikeman
Level 2

They are about 6 yrs into the rental.

I will take your advice.

Yhank You