Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of phantom partner in 1065 state

Accountant-Man
Level 12

I set up a 1065 with 3 partners, then added NJ 1065. THEN I had to go back and delete the 3rd partner, but NJ 1065, even after deleting the NJ 1065 and re-opening it, STILL shows a phantom K-1 and it will NOT be deleted.

I removed state, saved, closed, re-opened, but when opening NJ the phantom is still there.

I removed state, saved. Copied the file using Win10 in a new named tax file without NJ 1065. Opened it, opened NJ, phantom appears.

I cannot e-file with a phantom. Other than re-entering everything, can this return and my work be saved?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

I had one like that haunting me on a Minnesota return last year.  I don't remember exactly what I did but if I remember correctly, even though I thought the partner was deleted on the federal, there were some remnants left that caused the problem on the state.  Go back and into the federal return and make sure everything has been completely eliminated for the K-1. 

Slava Ukraini!
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Nope. Every time I go to NJ 1065, the phantom K-1 appears. When the e-file box is checked for NJ, the phantom K-1 has errors SINCE THERE IS NO DATA.

The errors go away when it is NOT set for e-filing NJ.

On the federal K-1 w/s, I pressed "delete" on every single box in that section. Still NJ has a phantom.

dkh
Level 15

I have a suggestion to see if its something in the Federal causing the phantom partner or if its something in NJ....... add another state to this return see if the phantom partner populates there

IRonMaN
Level 15

My situation was exactly the same as yours.  I paper filed one year because I couldn't figure it out and then I spent a bunch of time before I finally figured it out the following year.  Have you gone in and clicked "remove K-1 worksheet" on the blank worksheet?  If you don't have a ton of K-1s, have you tried removing the K-1 worksheet until you have none ------ and then clicked on remove K-1 worksheet a couple of more times for good measure and then tried reentering the partner info?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

I will try these things, but since it is a new business I just re-entered the entire return.

Did the Ctrl W to remove phantom-no such luck.

ihan
Employee
Employee
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Thanks, but does this work for a state phantom k1? I delete the federal k1, but NJ still creates a 3rd NJ k1 will no data.

0 Cheers