Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file a none profit not exempt tax return?

Liliana
Level 2

Hi, my friend opened a none profit organization for the community in December last year (2019). They are not tax exempt yet. The only thing they have is EIN and UBI number. They had a little donations and expenses, under $50,000. How do they file their tax return? Do they file 990n form for not exempt tax?

Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"how i can do on 1040 for an organization"

There is no Organization, unless you want to describe that this is a C Corp.

Otherwise, based on this: "my friend opened a none profit organization for the community"

You have an Individual trying to do something kind. That might mean it falls under their own 1040 activities. But you have to evaluate what they did, and that is called Facts and Circumstances.

Details will always be helpful.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
qbteachmt
Level 15

Did they file for exemption and that is pending, or did they not even file?

The IRS has great resources:

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/contributions-to-organization-wit...

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/other-non-profits/irs-processing-of-exemption-applications

Liliana
Level 2

they did not applied, they plan to do it this year, but they want to file tax for the organization

thank you

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

An *exempt* without IRS acceptance of non-profit status is a 'C" Corp and needs to file F 1120 plus the appropriate State Corporate return.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Liliana
Level 2

even they are LLC?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

They might be operating Not For Profit, but that doesn't make them a charitable purpose in the eyes of the IRS, since they didn't file for exemption. That means they file a tax form for what they are, such as 1065 or 1120S or 1120 or Sched C. And until they have the letter of determination, or at least an accepted application, that's what they keep filing. They might not get their approval the first attempt, either.

In the future, you should recommend they file for an Advance ruling:

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/exempt-organizations-rulings-and-...

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

If you review the facts and circumstances, you might be able to list their activity in such a way on the 1040 that there is no tax consequence. Examples:

Donated to a School

Raised funds for the local Food Bank

Raised funds to buy PPE and turned these over to the local hospital

0 Cheers
Liliana
Level 2

can you explain more how i can do on 1040 for an organization? i am little confused.

Thanks

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"how i can do on 1040 for an organization"

There is no Organization, unless you want to describe that this is a C Corp.

Otherwise, based on this: "my friend opened a none profit organization for the community"

You have an Individual trying to do something kind. That might mean it falls under their own 1040 activities. But you have to evaluate what they did, and that is called Facts and Circumstances.

Details will always be helpful.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I think your friend needs to find a tax professional that is more experienced in this type of situation.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪