Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Create a 2019 Form D-40X (Amended Individual Income Tax Return) with ProSeries?

jcoy
Level 2

I'm attempting to create a 2019 Form D-40X (Amended Individual Income Tax Return) with ProSeries. I may be going about it the wrong way, but here is what I have done so far:

1. SAVE AS to leave the original copy unchanged/untouched. (I just added "amend" to the end of the original file name of the copy).
  2. On the DC Info Worksheet, in Part IX - Other Information, I clicked the checkbox that says Filing an amended return this year?.
  3. I made the minor amendment that needed to be made.
  4. SAVE to save the changes made to the amended file.

However, when I print the forms to mail (since this amended return cannot be e-filed), it's a regular D-40/Individual Income Tax Return, and not a D-40X/Amended Individual Income Tax Return. Does anyone have any pointers or can point out what I did wrong?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You need to "activate" the amended return prior to making any changes....Im not sure what state a D40X is for, so Im not able to test it out and see how that one works. ....oh wait, you said DC?  Ive never even seen a DC return, sorry.

Most states you open the original return and open the amended form and input the year at the top, that "activates" it, then you go back and make the changes.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You need to "activate" the amended return prior to making any changes....Im not sure what state a D40X is for, so Im not able to test it out and see how that one works. ....oh wait, you said DC?  Ive never even seen a DC return, sorry.

Most states you open the original return and open the amended form and input the year at the top, that "activates" it, then you go back and make the changes.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is there a D-40X? The D-40 has a box at the top for Amended.

Ex-AllStar
jcoy
Level 2

You and @sjrcpawere both correct. I went in and simply made changes to the original. The D-40 (DC Amended Individual Tax Return) has a box at the top of the form indicating the return is an amendment. This box was marked with an X after the change was made. It did not create a D-40X, but I guess they are no longer using that form - as per DC's List of Individual Income Tax Forms for the 2019 Tax Year.

Thank you both.