Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to adjust unemployment compensation on Form 1040 for MFJ in community property states like CA?

StellaN
Level 2

How do we make the adjustment for MFJ to exclude up to $20,400 in unemployment compensation in community property states?  One TP received $18,000 and the spouse received $9,000 in CA.  The software only excludes $19,200 total.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its UP TO 10,200 per person (not to exceed the UI per person). 

Not 20,400 per couple

Some people have used MFS to get more bang for their UI excluded buck.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

In this case the software is correct.

0 Cheers
kitty2
Level 2

The $10,200 exclusion for unemployment is for each individual and not for a combination.  Each is entitled to an exclusion of up to $10,200.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Its UP TO 10,200 per person (not to exceed the UI per person). 

Not 20,400 per couple

Some people have used MFS to get more bang for their UI excluded buck.

Lindarae
Level 1

Not only is ProSeries changing the original tax return instead of saving the old return and making the change on the new, technically amended return, they are making changes and we have no way of knowing what they have done.  So, In a community property state (California), where only one person got unemployment of $25,000, ProSeries is changing it to $10,200 deduction for each spouse even though only one spouse was unemployed.  And, crazy things are changed in the original return, ALSO, when someone else's hand is in our file.  For instance, on the new return, social security numbers of children are left off of the IRS changed return so clients are not getting deductions for dependents.  ITS A MESS, A TOTAL MESS!  And, it is changing the billing invoice to reflect the changes as well.

Way to go ProSeries, the clients have a copy of the return that we gave them and our computer shows a completely different return in our homebase.  Have you any idea how much time it takes to pull a paper return and examine both to locate the problems when EVERY SINGLE CLIENT THIS AFFECTS CALLS SCREAMING!

This wouldn't be a problem if we only had a handful of clients, if that were all we had we wouldn't need ProSeries  @ over $5,000.00 we could purchase the cheap program at a nickel, ninety-eight!  You should be better than this!  

YOUR PROGRAM HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE THIS YEAR!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"So, In a community property state (California), where only one person got unemployment of $25,000, ProSeries is changing it to $10,200 deduction for each spouse even though only one spouse was unemployed."

That is the correct adjustment.  
https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/unemployment-exclusion-update-for-married-taxpayers-living-in-a-commu...

I decided to LOCK my returns after they'd been accepted, that way the software doesnt make any changes for updated tax laws until I unlock the return....Im able to open the return and see exactly how it was filed.  Then I can unlock when Im ready to deal with any tax law changes that may have happened since filing.   

Any returns you havent opened since they've been filed, you can lock right now, might not be a bad idea.    Highlight the file in HB then hit Tools > Lock Clients

Lindarae
Level 1

Thank you so much! Calls to Tech support and no one could tell me that!