Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tell the software in the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet that was not eligible for first Stimulus check

Yadir
Level 3

My clients are mixed status. (husband has SS number and wife with ITIN) They already received the second stimulus (which I noted in line 19) and are aware that they are not eligible for the first round.

In the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet line 16 they ask amount received.  There should be a way to put Not eligible right?  If I write 0 gives them the credit and if I put the amount I am afraid that they may run into trouble if IRS thinks they received money if they were not eligible.  

Any wisdom? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The recent law changed it, so the person with the SSN is eligible for BOTH payments.  So they should receive the $1200 credit.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The recent law changed it, so the person with the SSN is eligible for BOTH payments.  So they should receive the $1200 credit.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

do the questions limit what they're are entitled to on the first round? 

0 Cheers
Yadir
Level 3

Thank you very much, you are so right! 

0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8

I still do not know how they can receive $1200, the first stimulus was $1200 and although they were not elegible at that time, they law changed was the payment II of $600 and it is applied retroactively, so the spouse with SS will get 1800 which is 1200 + 600 . Am I right? Thank you

0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8

You are right. The original question says they received the second stimulus already, so the spouse with SS will get 1200 from the first stimulus. I apologize but anyway, no one with ITINs will receive payments I and II unless one member is in the active duty. I hope I am right? Thank you.

0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8

Yes the worksheet is very explicit. And updated with the new SS rules. The software identifies the ITIN and asks you a lot of questions to determine eligibility. I believe they did a good job about it. 

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Thats good to know. Based on the OP's question, I also have mixed couples (ITIN and SSN) and I wanted to make sure the worksheets provided adequate questions. 

0 Cheers