Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Generate Form 8958 for California RDP filing as Single for Federal purposes?

kelmelsd
Level 2

My clients are same sex registered domestic partners in California which is a community property state.  They are required to file as Single for federal purposes but also allocate their community property income.  I have not figured out how to make ProSeries include Form 8958 with a Single return. I can populate the form with the correct information, but it will not print.  Any suggestions?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You'll need to fill it out and attach as a PDF then, PS wont automatically include it on a Single return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The feds dont recognize the marriage so you shouldnt need to allocate community property....are you sure thats how it works on the 1040?

0 Cheers
kelmelsd
Level 2

From Answers to Frequently Asked Questions for Registered Domestic Partners and Individuals in Civil Unions on irs.gov:

Registered domestic partners should report wages, other income items, and deductions according to the instructions to Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and related schedules, and Form 8958, Allocation of Tax Amounts Between Certain Individuals in Community Property States. Form 8958 is used to determine the allocation of tax amounts between registered domestic partners. Each partner must complete and attach Form 8958 to his or her Form 1040.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You'll need to fill it out and attach as a PDF then, PS wont automatically include it on a Single return.

0 Cheers
kelmelsd
Level 2

Great idea!  Thanks Lisa.