Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I generate Form 2441 for a disabled spouse?

Cas3
Level 2

Married filing joint return.  Spouse works and has Box 10 Dependent Care Benefits of $3000 which are used to pay for the care of her disabled husband (Taxpayer) who has no earned income.  How do I get the Form 2441 to generate for him without using overridges in ProSeries?  They also have a dependent daughter, and the dependent care box wants a number...she's a healthy college student.  If I put zero in the box, it adds her name to the 2441.  If I leave it blank, I continue to get error messages.  Since I can't connect the disabled taxpayer to the 2441, the program wants to tax the benefits.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
rbynaker
Level 13

I don't remember offhand how to get this to work.  Is there something on the Fed Info Wks to indicate that the taxpayer is disabled and/or has dependent care expenses?  I think it would either be up top or way down at the bottom with the checkboxes for other obscure situations.

Also, on the 2441, the disabled taxpayer is deemed to have $250/month of earned income for the purposes of determining the credit.  You're probably running into a "no earned income" limitation somewhere.  You might need to right-click and cross-reference some of the fields that are automatically populated by the software to link back to the source.

This doesn't answer your question but might point you in the right direction.

Rick

Cas3
Level 2

Found the obscure link thru the buttons at the top of the info page to "disabled taxpayer claims dependent care expenses", but the link goes to information about incarceration...he might feel that way, but he is not.  Glimmer of hope in the program, and that helped; but still not solved.  I knew to enter the deemed earned income info previously.  Appreciate your insight.  Hopefully someone out there knows the links.  If I find it, I will post it here.  

Cas

Cas3
Level 2

Another fellow ProSeries CPA helped me:

You have to list the disabled taxpayer as a dependent and use the code Q to generate Form 2441.  I chose Other as relationship, and list him as living in the house 12 months.  Enter the expenses same as for regular Child Care.  Boom!  Woohoo!

rbynaker
Level 13

Wow, I would not have thought of that!  Thanks for posting back, give yourself the "solved".

0 Cheers