Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I efile 2020 Michigan amended return?

dperhogan
Level 2

I'm trying to efile an amended 2020 Michigan state-only return, when I click on Efile Now button the efile window shows Michigan Amended Return status "Not Ready" with reason Michigan Return is not completed.  I don't have any errors to fix and have checked the efile box on fed info worksheet for Michigan.  In the same window the Michigan State-Only option shows "Ready".  Do I efile the Michigan State-Only return instead of Michigan Amended Return?  I have files attached that need to be sent with the amended return.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You need to use the Original File for the Amended. If you made a copy of the Original (its wrong, I dont understand why people keep or make a copy of it), you need to open that copy and uncheck the EF boxes on it so it disappears from the EFCenter.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youve got it chosen on the Fed Info worksheet to EFile it?

stateamended.png

0 Cheers
dperhogan
Level 2

Yes.  Is there something else that would trigger not completed?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Im not familiar with Michigan at all, but try transmitting it from the EFCenter, not from within the client file. 

0 Cheers
dperhogan
Level 2

When I go to EF Center, the EF Status shows "Duplicate SSN/EIN".  I copied the original file to efile the amended return for Michigan.  Can I efile an amended return from the original file AND attach files?  When I tried to use the original file to send amended return I couldn't attach any files because the file was already efiled.  Could the copied file be the problem?  If so, what is the fix to amend and attach files?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You need to use the Original File for the Amended. If you made a copy of the Original (its wrong, I dont understand why people keep or make a copy of it), you need to open that copy and uncheck the EF boxes on it so it disappears from the EFCenter.

dperhogan
Level 2

I used the original return to process amended return and I was able to attach documents and efile.  Thanks for your help.

Doug

dbelling
Level 3

Finally found solution....uncheck file MI electronically and only have the amended efile box checked...that solved the issue for me.