Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Did IRS Know Where To Deposit EIP#3?

BobKamman
Level 15

A client asks,

Our first stimulus check was an actual check. The second was a debit card. We received the third stimulus check via direct deposit. We’ve never paid our taxes online so how does the IRS have our banking info?

--They do not receive Social Security or VA benefits.  They have not received a federal refund for the past three years.  They are not federal employees or contractors.  

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
TAXOH
Level 11

I also had a client that received the 1st and 2nd with a check and the third was direct deposit.   He always owes and sends a check in for payment.  The only thing on his tax return is Schedule C income.  He doesn't get social security or VA benefits either.   He called me asking how they knew his bank information. 

abctax55
Level 15

An employee changed his bank account AFTER filing the 2019 return (and that return had a balance due that was paid by a check on the OLD account.

EIP#3 was recently directly deposited in the NEW checking account.

No SS, no nothing to indicate how the IRS got the new info.

I think we should all be scared, very very scared 🤣

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

Was it a new checking account with the same financial institution?

abctax55
Level 15

Hmmmmmm - not sure.   Good question.

And I love her in your chair 🙂

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

Thanks ....The reason I asked that question is many years ago I e-filed a return with direct deposit for a client... He transposed two numbers on the checking account number he gave me and didn't realize it until days after efiling... after the credit union was contacted, they said the direct deposit did not go through yet, but even if it did, they stated that they would have deposited it into the correct bank account number since they said that they check the bank account numbers with the names of the owners, not sure if that was accurate or not ....

dkh
Level 15

Was interest income earned on the checking account the direct deposit went into ?

TAXOH
Level 11

Not for my client.