Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you fix a duplicate social security number error when you didn't create more than one file? Proseries malfunctioned and created a second state file.

maxie
Level 3
When I finished working on the client file and saved it somehow two Alabama state returns were created. I didn't do it myself and this has never happened before. "Fix Duplicate Social Security Number" does not fix the problem. Hoping I don't have to delete and start over.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/e-file-weirdness/01/50776

so... I do the workaround for all bama returns now..I uncheck file Alabama electronically on both federal page...go over to bama state program and save...then back to federal and ONLY E-file the federal return.  after it has been accepted and found it's merry home on the EF Center Accepted tab... then, and only then, do i go back and e-file the bama return.  I have done about 10 now doing this..and all worked perfectly.

… but i also know the top-secret way to resolve your problem too.  fix what has already gone wrong.. what ProSeries had me do.

1) get out of ProSeries

2) Hold down the shift key, and double click on the ProSeries 2019 Icon...when it starts loading...you can release the shift key.

3) after you enter your password... hold down the shift key and hit login....then you can release the shift key... and it does some top-secret, backroom, double naught spy homebase cleanup or something... and when it opens...you are fixed... both the Fed and Bama state returns now show up..you don't have the blank client name line...It's a miracle...lol

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-discussions/discussion/e-file-weirdness/01/50776

so... I do the workaround for all bama returns now..I uncheck file Alabama electronically on both federal page...go over to bama state program and save...then back to federal and ONLY E-file the federal return.  after it has been accepted and found it's merry home on the EF Center Accepted tab... then, and only then, do i go back and e-file the bama return.  I have done about 10 now doing this..and all worked perfectly.

… but i also know the top-secret way to resolve your problem too.  fix what has already gone wrong.. what ProSeries had me do.

1) get out of ProSeries

2) Hold down the shift key, and double click on the ProSeries 2019 Icon...when it starts loading...you can release the shift key.

3) after you enter your password... hold down the shift key and hit login....then you can release the shift key... and it does some top-secret, backroom, double naught spy homebase cleanup or something... and when it opens...you are fixed... both the Fed and Bama state returns now show up..you don't have the blank client name line...It's a miracle...lol

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"1) get out of ProSeries

3) after you enter your password... hold down the shift key and hit login....then you can release the shift key... and it does some top-secret, backroom, double naught spy homebase cleanup or something... and when it opens...you are fixed... both the Fed and Bama state returns now show up..you don't have the blank client name line...It's a miracle...lol"

Its like a ProSeries Easter Egg!   LOL  

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Confucius
Level 3

One correction to your solution.

Step 3, you must hold the shift key down until the "Homebase Reconciliation" box opens.  

If not nothing will happen. Once I did it this way it worked and miracle of miracles that blank duplicate dissapeared