Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set up custom pass word for protect pdf return file?

Several clients ask for return to send them via email. When I print a pdf return file with protected pw, I know how: Go to Print. Then Printer, pdf and DMS Set up. Then check mark Pass word protected pdf files for returns . Proseries use default PW . I myself and client have hard time to remember . Is there any way to reset custom PW? Example: I reset client "phone" or ssn plus tax year"
Thank you advance to all experts' advice
0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I use BullZip, its free. I open the PDF that Proseries saves then Print to BullZip and it lets me add any password I want and resaves it as a new password protected PDF.

There might be a way to have PS print directly to Bullzip (if you make Bullzip your default PDF printer), but I havent ever fiddled around with it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Thank you Lisa

I have zip and rar which allows me to input custom pw 

Because the clients dont have applications to open it 😞

I hope intuit have custom pw in the future:) 

Again thanks

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I think all you need is a pdf reader to open bullzip pw protected files. Ive never had a client that couldn't open one.

0 Cheers

Sorry I made you confused 

I meant the clients not able to open because they dont  have or know how to download application such as zip or rar or bullzip

Thanks for sharing 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
they dont need bullzip, and its not a zipped file....its a regular pdf with a password

0 Cheers

Hello Lisa

Could you please give me more detail? 

I have a newest pdf version. 

Thanks 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
YOU need bullzip to add a password, the client doesnt need it to open the password protected pdf you create and send to them....all they need is a pdf reader like everyone has for reading/viewing pdf files.

0 Cheers

Thank you

Let me try to work on it 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Once Bullzip is installed, open any PDF and then choose Print and you'll find Bullzip at the top of the list of Printers. It will print to bullzip and then open the pdf on the screen, click the Security Tab and its got a place for 2 passwords (Im not sure why it has 2, I put the same PW in both boxes) then Save, it will open your saved pw protected file file and make you enter the password (I do this to make sure it opens for me) then attach that saved PDF to an email.

It doesnt zip the file at all, just adds a pw to the newly saved pdf.

0 Cheers