Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hoping for 50,000, Now 100,000 - Angry

dascpa
Level 11

Since this IRS Commissioner refuses to budge on the April 15th estimated taxes my to do list in the next 13 days has now risen from 50,000 items to 100,000 items.  I'm pissed.

And I still have three clients awaiting refunds from tax filing a year ago (February) - two over $5,000 and one $20,000. I'm thinking about also becoming a Walmart greeter.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

17 Comments 17
IRonMaN
Level 15

Don't try Walmart ------------- they actually want you to be nice to the customers.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

2.png

jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I guess you should get back to work and stop chatting on here!

IRonMaN
Level 15

Not really.  Sometimes chatting on here saves lives.  Studies have shown that approximately 2,500 lives are saved every year by preparers chatting here.  If not allowed to let off steam, approximately 2,500 clients would have died each year by strangulation or from being stabbed by scissors or letter openers.  This forum was created to save lives.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

I halted the assembly line yesterday and just started doing triage.  I've been plucking things out of the queue that might need attention before 4/15.  Definitely anyone who typically has ES payments.  I have a few who are on/off ES depending on how their investments do each year so I'll need to check their safe harbor numbers.

I also had one who needed a 401(k) corrective distribution.  Best I can tell that deadline has NOT been extended for correction of excess deferrals under section 402(g)(2).  Seems to be set by statute rather than tied to the 1040 due date and was NOT on the short list of things Chuck agreed to extend.

I've had two terrible experiences with Voya this year.  I will never voluntarily do business with them again (although you can't usually pick who an employer uses for retirement).  Supposedly they're fixing my client's 401k excess on Thursday 4/8.  I'll believe it when I see it, we've been trying since mid-February.  If they think they fixed it now, I'm not sure why it will still take a week.  If you have clients who deal with Voya, they need to keep hounding them.  The company doesn't seem to actually follow-through with anything on their own.

abctax55
Level 15

My triage starts 0-dawn-thirty tomorrow....

The consensus *seems* to be that the financial impact of the 'one month late' won't be severe unless the dollars are huge.  Unfortunately, I do have a few with 'huge' dollars whereby I've always done the big payment on 4/15 extension to cover.   

Happy Easter anyone? 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Happy Easter anyone?"

We shot the Easter bunny and are having it for dinner on Sunday -------------------- just one too many clients said "have a Happy Easter".

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

That's just mean/cruel, Jeff.

There ARE kids watching this show, don't you know that?

Oh, wait... this place is for tax pro's only.  Right?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dascpa
Level 11

Doesn't happen when you celebrate the wonderful world of matzoh.

PATAX
Level 15

Happy Easter Iron Man .....IC XC NI KA...

IRonMaN
Level 15

I like you  ------------------------ but don't go pushing your luck too far 🤣

Slava Ukraini!
ljr
Level 8

I don't care if the Easter Bunny was dancing on my lawn. I plan to sleep the entire day so I don't "accidentally" use the scissors or letter opener on a client. One more client call that says I know you're busy but its just a quick question might not live to tell about it ! especially after the quick question lasts 15 minutes. Oh just 1 more question, just 1 more question. My hold piles have now grown piles of their own. Maybe the Easter bunny was here already and I didn't see him running around. I could have chased him with the scissors.

PATAX
Level 15

Ljr, for those clients whose returns are finished, and who are just plain ignorant and self-centered, and just want to hear themselves talk, let them know one way or the other that you do not need their business, and maybe they will straighten up... Just my opinion...

IRonMaN
Level 15

I can't even get returns done that I thought were done.  I had one client who brought in his stuff the first part of February but I was waiting for his wife to get her stuff in.  He finally got tired of waiting and left a message saying he wanted to file separately.  Ok - done.  I got the return done on Wednesday and on Friday he comes in with a second piddly W-2.  Prepared a return in the middle of February with a large balance due.  The client has a schedule C.  Patiently waiting for them to return the 8879.  Instead of returning the 8879, drops off the same bag full of useless crap that they dropped off the first time ------------- but only this time there are supposed to be "more deductions" included with the bag of manure.  An e-mail came through this morning for a return that was done a month ago.  The little schedule C that she has that is has been a borderline hobby, now is going to be changed over to an LLC and is going to have all sorts of income this year and wants to have estimates prepared based all of that extra income.  They are like vampires - you bury them but unless you put a stake through their heart, they keep coming back to get you.

Slava Ukraini!
ljr
Level 8

I'm about to date myself but it feels like the old whack-a-mole game.  Every time I think I finished with someone they pop back up. Who has extra stakes I can borrow?

Another pet peeve:

Why do you make an early February appointment - have missing information - then ignore all my followup phone calls and you are still in my pile on 4/3 ?

and could someone please point me to where all the clients get the information that if you create an LLC you have all these miraculous deductions that you can just write off out of thin air. When I ask what they actually spend they go what? Huh? yeah that's exactly what I thought.

PATAX
Level 15

👍 Iron Man, they make the draugar 🧟‍♂️ look like angels....

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

My favorite is when the regular W2 client comes in and tosses me a scrap of paper with a number on it followed by the statement "I started doing (whatever) last year and this is how much I made"