Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homebase that erased over 150 tax returns.

pallsevy
Level 3

I had a homebase maintenance issue that I need help on.  We had the homebase maintenance open and it stated "delete record from homebase" and someone hit "fix it" and now there are a ton a tax returns missing form the home base and the data file.  Can anyone tell me where the software stores "fixed" home base files?  I would like to restore them but cant seem to find them anywhere?  I have one client that I received the e file accepted confirmation recently and before I could print the file has gone missing

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pallsevy
Level 3

I have had lots of problems with Proseries this year.  I have been using them for a long time, 15 years or more, and this year has been the most headache I have ever had.  In the middle of February the updated software would literally boot me out of the program, shutdown, and somehow erase itself. then I couldn't find the the software to even open up.  I had to reload the software every 2 days.  I crossed my fingers that the data files were not corrupted or lost at the same time.  I started to backup everything every hour.  I bought a new computer and then things got easier and recently (after this issue) realized the the backups have not happened in the last month.  I restored one and realized it was an older copy without all the data included.  That is why my question in hopes that someone has belter fix then redoing all the tax returns.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

First, make sure the actual files are still in the Data20 folder (Or whatever folder you store all your client files in).

In my experience when it says Delete Record in HB, that means the file is missing from the folder that its looking at, so its going to remove the file listings in the HB to match whats actually there.

Maybe some files got saved to a different folder somehow, so they werent found in the default folder that HB Maintenance looked at.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
pallsevy
Level 3

exactly correct and they are missing from the data file also.  I can't find them anywhere.  I know they can't just disappear so I'm hoping there is some secret hiding place for them.  They are not in the recycle bin.  I printed the accepted returns from the electronic filing report page. I did a search for the file name and cant find the filename anywhere either.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Theres been lots of reports of disappearing files (Ive only had it happen with 1 so far that Ive discovered).

Do you have a backup system of some kind that you might be able to resurrect them from?

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Carbonite has saved me a ton of times over the years..

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
pallsevy
Level 3

I have had lots of problems with Proseries this year.  I have been using them for a long time, 15 years or more, and this year has been the most headache I have ever had.  In the middle of February the updated software would literally boot me out of the program, shutdown, and somehow erase itself. then I couldn't find the the software to even open up.  I had to reload the software every 2 days.  I crossed my fingers that the data files were not corrupted or lost at the same time.  I started to backup everything every hour.  I bought a new computer and then things got easier and recently (after this issue) realized the the backups have not happened in the last month.  I restored one and realized it was an older copy without all the data included.  That is why my question in hopes that someone has belter fix then redoing all the tax returns.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The one that I had that disappeared, didnt even get backed up by Carbonite, super weird.

0 Cheers
pallsevy
Level 3

Actually Lisa, your comments put me to thinking about locations.  I found the one file that I needed most and will most definitely get it printed and send out to the client.  You are a lifesaver for just talking and letting think about possible solutions.  Thank you for your help

pallsevy
Level 3

and I do have carbonite, but forgot to add the new computer to the list,  Oh dang!!!

0 Cheers