Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health care sharing payments qualify for self employment health insurance?

ramledray
Level 3

A client who is the sole shareholder of their S-Corp is planning to enroll in a not-for-profit health care sharing plan that is well known and has been operating well over a decade.  Will my client's payment qualify for Self Employed Health Insurance payments?  I have found multiple answers.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ramledray
Level 3

Thanks for the reference.  I found it before I entered this question because I could not trace any authoritative sources. 

I just got off the phone with a representative from the health care sharing organization in question that I called to find out if they had any authoritative information that would be helpful.  Their representative basically rebutted the answer I was hoping to hear by stating that the position of their organization is that the monthly payments are "gifts to other participants" and therefore are not medical payments, nor are they deductible.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

Always look for recent info by checking the date of any article you read.

Try this:

https://bradyware.com/health-care-sharing-ministry-payments/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
ramledray
Level 3

Thanks for the reference.  I found it before I entered this question because I could not trace any authoritative sources. 

I just got off the phone with a representative from the health care sharing organization in question that I called to find out if they had any authoritative information that would be helpful.  Their representative basically rebutted the answer I was hoping to hear by stating that the position of their organization is that the monthly payments are "gifts to other participants" and therefore are not medical payments, nor are they deductible.

qbteachmt
Level 15

As that article shows, there was a Presidential directive to issue proposed regulations. Nothing has happened, otherwise. The coverage has been deemed to meet the ACA's essential care requirement. The coverage is a payment cooperative. It isn't health care costs (not incurred for a medical expense) and it isn't insurance coverage.

https://www.healthcare.gov/quick-guide/dates-and-deadlines/

qbteachmt
Level 15

Oops, wrong link. Here's the Federal Register:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/06/10/2020-12213/certain-medical-care-arrangements

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As far as I know, it is still a "Proposed" Regulation.  That means you can use it, but use-at-your-own-risk because if the IRS wants to argue against it, you don't have much to stand on.

Also, even if it is considered as medical insurance for purposes of §213 (medical deductions), it wouldn't necessarily mean it would be considered as medical insurance for purposes of §162(l) (the Self Employed Health Insurance deduction).  It PROBABLY would be, but nothing definite.

With that being said, I would take the Self Employed Health Insurance deduction, but warn the taxpayer that it could possibly be argued against.

qbteachmt
Level 15

I can't imagine this is more affordable than having the S Corp obtain coverage and run that through the "more than 2% shareholder" process.