Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head of household qualifying person error

little debbie
Level 2

On the Federal Information Worksheet,  , Part II, Filing Status, I selected HOH.  I didn't list a child's name because all child are dependents.  Instructions indicate list the child's name IF NOT dependent.  However,  this causes an error that will not allow efiling if left blank.

If  I list one of the children in Item 4,  the child cannot be listed as dependent in Part III (error indicates duplicate ss #) and the refund amount changes. 

One of the children is listed on Qualifying Person on the HOH Due Diligence Worksheet. 

Please help.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

What happens if select filing status of Single that back to HOH ???  does it make the error go away ?

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

If all the children are dependents on the return, not just EIC, there is no need to put anyone in the fields next to the HOH status.

Delete anyone you have in there and it will clear the error.

dkh
Level 15

Have you entered all the dependents info -- #months lived with taxpayer,  Dependent Code, etc

RollTide68
Level 8

Screenshot 2021-03-03 210249.png

It should look something like this.  I don't receive any error.

little debbie
Level 2

Thanks, but the error code appear if section is blank.

0 Cheers
little debbie
Level 2

It looks like that except there are error codes on line 4. 

thank you for replying.

0 Cheers
little debbie
Level 2

Yes, thank you.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

How many dependents are there?  Is the first one listed, one who can qualify the taxpayer for HoH?  Is the "relationship" one of the standard choices or one that you entered?

dkh
Level 15

What happens if select filing status of Single that back to HOH ???  does it make the error go away ?

IRonMaN
Level 15

As a side note - I really like your mini chocolate donuts.

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15
thanks they're

Chocolate covered candies but whatever.........    Chocolate - my tax season fuel

IRonMaN
Level 15

I was referring to Little Debbie😁

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

😳oops       

little debbie
Level 2

Hurrah!!   It worked!!

I need to let Support know when I speak with them again.

Thank you so much.  I was going to refer the client to another preparer.

I really appreciate your help.