Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Head of household dependent

ClarkTax1
Level 2

An adult qualifys my taxpayer as HOH.  That info is entered in dependent's info form.  On the Federal Filing Status section I checked HOH and it wants me to enter the child's name and SSN.  Why is it making enter the info there when I entered it in the Dependent section?  The qualifying person is NOT a child.

Changed dependent's Relationship status from NONE to OTHER and it cleared the error.  The related person is an ex-wife so there really is no relationship?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@ClarkTax1  An adult not related to you does not qualify you for HOH. see the rules here:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2019_publink1000220814

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

You only need to enter info next to HOH selection  if the child that qualifies you to elect HOH

is NOT your dependent.   

Hope this helps.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

It usually shows an error on that HOH line until you input the dependent info...once I enter the dep info, that pink error on the HOH line goes away.

Maybe try unchecking the HOH box and check Single, then switch back to HOH?   Maybe its just stuck or something?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Did you enter "code o" on dependent info

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

@ClarkTax1  An adult not related to you does not qualify you for HOH. see the rules here:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2019_publink1000220814

ClarkTax1
Level 2

Got it. That's why I'm having the problem.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Your welcome, with all the changes going on it hard to recall all the basic rules, especially when you get my age 😁

0 Cheers